Give me your best DIY shrimp traps

BobcatReefer

Need to extract a Coral Banded cold blooded killer so I can move in some Peppermints and handle the Aiptasia.

Thinking something like an empty 1L plastic coke bottle w/ a small hole to inject food/bait. Climbs in the mouth, pull the bottle out? Am I Wile E Coyote here?

Do you have a better mouse...er, shrimp trap?

Question:  keep the original piece of shrimp bait in there and leave the trap in 24/7 until shrimp is caught, or take it out and reset for nighttime trapping only?

(admittedly, I have no idea why I think this is only a nighttime venture...)

Well, if he's a little skittish you could leave the bottle in there to help him get used to it and maybe start feeding him a few pieces of whatever bait you're using to entice him.   I think he'd be able to be trapped daytime.

No one said it would be easy-peasy. .  .er,  ummm, yes; ahem. . .  🙄

The coke bottle is an old school trap, but it's tricky. The shrimp avoid it because it's too light and blows around. If your shrimp likes to hang out in the rocks then place the trap at a 45 degree angle with the bottom on the sand and the top sloping up the aquascape towards his spot. If he hangs out on the sand, then face the opening towards his spot and anchor the trap in place using LR. The trick is to get it stationary. CB are generally active all day, so I would leave the trap in at all times but replace the bait each day. Good luck!

Trap is stationary, CB hangs on the rocks, and the trap opening was facing his hangout spot.  I have some other issues to work on w/ the tank so I may have to suspend trapping activities for now.  Plus, I think I might be able to double net wrangle him from his secondary hideout - open on both sides.  Will keep you all updated on this adventure as events unfold...I know you are all hanging on the edge! 😀