Tiger Tail Cukes

Paula

So, I'm considering adding a tiger tail cucumber to my tank to help keep the sand bed a bit cleaner. My understanding is they are better than say a sand sifting starfish as they don't eat all the beneficial pods etc and then starve. The only downside I'm aware of is the possibility that it can nuke the tank albeit the tiger tail is less likely in that regard than some of the other cucumbers.

Any thoughts?

-Paula

32 minutes ago, Paula said:

Thx Dogfish. It looks like my substrate may be too coarse. Ah well. Probs my best bet might be to stick with a couple nassarius snails.

Cheers,

Paula

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If a cleaner looking sandbed is your goal, I wouldn't rely on nassarius to do much. 

Frankly, mine sometimes don't even come out when I feed. Lazy bums

• Like 1

Tiger tails are nocturnal and normally stay in one spot attached to a rock. Sometimes they travel and can climb the aquarium walls. I had one get sucked into the return pump once and didn't nuke the tank. IMO the edible black or pink and black cuc is the only viable species. The Waikiki Aquarium has one in every tank.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I started with one tiger tail in my tank about 5 years ago.  I assume it has split because I now have about 8.  They are definitely nocturnal and are one of my fav clean up crew members. I've never had an issue with them "nuking the tank".  My pink cuc moves all around the tank, the tiger tails are seen only after the lights go out or if I move the rocks.