Royal gamma

Hi I had a royals gamma for 2weeks happy and eating well then started swimming very odd didn’t touch dinner and now no where to be found. I assume dead! Any ideas what could have happened? Water testing didn’t show anything out of normal nitrates were a little high around 10 I also lost a snail. Just throwing it out there I didn’t see any white spots but guess could be in gills. Is it safe to get more fish ? I have a goby in there and possibly a rotting fish in the rock I can’t get to with tearing apart tank

You didn't mention if you had quarantined it first, if not I would strongly encourage you to set up a QT system.   It's not a good sign if it was eating then disappeared but I've had Royal Grammas disappear for months then show up.  With the info you've given you're probably better off waiting a few weeks before adding another fish.  As far as the snail it's almost certainly unrelated to the Royal Gramma's disappearance.   Be careful not to add too many snails, some are great at dealing with an algae issue but quickly start dying off when it's gone.  Better choices in for algae are Royal and/or Tuxedo urchins, Sally Lightfoot Crabs and Hermit Crabs.  Also keep in mind algae is a part of a marine ecosystem and in my experience the nuisance types will disappear on thier own as an ecosystem matures or are a problem caused by secondary issues and one the primary issue is resolved will disappear as the ecosystem repairs itself.  See my two threads on nuisance algae:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/34556-hair-algae-a-case-study/?tab=comments#comment-275433

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/39043-hair-algae-a-second-case-study/?tab=comments#comment-325744  

Unexplained fish losses are tough. Did you test ammonia by chance? Did you do anything the day before they stopped feeding? Maybe a water change, added new media, or topped off fresh water? IME very few fish recover once they stop feeding. Sudden drops in sg or Marine Velvet can kill within 8 hours.

They like to live in holes.  They can swim a bit odd at times. Upside down ecttt... If that was not the case, it might have been injured in a power head. One of mine insists on going into an MP60 at night to sleep when its not on. To eliminate disease as the cause, I agree with Timfish. QT at least 2 weeks. TTM and a dose of prazi pro at the min.

45 minutes ago, Dogfish said:

They like to live in holes.  They can swim a bit odd at times. Upside down ecttt... If that was not the case, it might have been injured in a power head. One of mine insists on going into an MP60 at night to sleep when its not on. To eliminate disease as the cause, I agree with Timfish. QT at least 2 weeks. TTM and a dose of prazi pro at the min.

Have you treated a display with prazi pro before? I'm wondering if there are any side effects. 

• mFrame changed the title to Royal gamma

I got a few royal grammas about a year and a half ago. They both disappeared within a week.  I assumed dead and gone.  About three weeks ago I went to feed the tank late at night.  I saw a gramma in the corner of the tank.  It grabbed some food and then darted into the rocks.  I haven't seen it since.

Do you have other tank mates that might be aggressive and keeping them in hiding?

Hi so I now  know the fish is dead I saw like a translucent tail in the tank. I didn’t qt I don’t have much of a set up to do that .  I only have a goby in the tank which to be honest I only catch a glimpse of every few days to know he is not dead.. if it was velvet or ich would the goby live? I’m scared to put other fish in if I introduced something. I can’t catch that crazy tiny goby to try and separate it from the tank for 8 weeks?  The tank is just 32 g biocube with sand rock and two leathers. And a supper tiny goby. What kind of advise do y’all have for me? Water parameters normal I did 40% water change after I determined the gammas demise . Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear it's loss!  😞   If the goby is still alive it probably has developed a resisitance against parasites.  Unfortunately this means it might be a carrier so removing it and putting it in a QT means you should start treating for parasites right away before adding more fish to the QT.  FYI the cysts can remain viable for as long as 72  days so you should leave your display tank fishless for that length of time, not 8 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Ok I’m leaving my tank fishless for 72 days. Crabs and snails and coral are still in tank. I want to set up a qt tank for my next fish purchase any suggestions on hob filter to use ? Also I want to get another goby can I put sand? Does th qt tank need to cycle or can I use a bottled bacteria  like dr Tim’s or bio spira ?

No I do not need two, I started with the aquaclear 30 on my 20L tank and it turned out it to be not good enough so I just added the 50 rather.  The 30 is rated for 10 to 30 gallons, but it was not keeping up on my QT.  The 50 is like $2 more than the 30 on amazon and is rated for 20 to 50 gallons.