Allelopathy in stony corals

Sierra Bravo

@Timfish

I had posted this on R2R and Christy had mentioned you may be a great source for some reference material on the subject:

Bleaching of coralline ahead of coral growth

This is a bit more biochemistry than reef chemistry, but I was searching to see if anything had been written about the chemical process and physiology behind the bleaching and killing of coralline algae that precedes the expansion of an encrusting coral. Unfortunately searching along those terms brings up more about environmental bleaching events than coral chemical warfare.

I've been curious about what the coral produces and how it manages to affect the area in front of the growing coral, which I've seen extend up to a 1/4" or more on some corals. If anyone can direct me to a paper or some literature on the subject, or if you have some personal insight, I'd like to know more.

• Like 1

This is a very complex subject.   The stuff being released by corals and algae goes beyond just direct effect (like some diterpenoids that inhibit growth)  and promotes disparate and conflicting microbial processes as well.   Below are a couple links.  We also do not have a clear idea of possible complimentary role some sponges may play in association with corals but research has shown the source of DOC they consume influences the compounds they release into the water.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027973

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23882445

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308929565_Differential_recycling_of_coral_and_algal_dissolved_organic_matter_via_the_sponge_loop

• Like 1

[mention=1247]Timfish[/mention]
I had posted this on R2R and Christy had mentioned you may be a great source for some reference material on the subject:

Bleaching of coralline ahead of coral growth
This is a bit more biochemistry than reef chemistry, but I was searching to see if anything had been written about the chemical process and physiology behind the bleaching and killing of coralline algae that precedes the expansion of an encrusting coral. Unfortunately searching along those terms brings up more about environmental bleaching events than coral chemical warfare.

I've been curious about what the coral produces and how it manages to affect the area in front of the growing coral, which I've seen extend up to a 1/4" or more on some corals. If anyone can direct me to a paper or some literature on the subject, or if you have some personal insight, I'd like to know more.
Mesenterial filaments extended at night will zap the coralline back as the acro advances.
  • Like 1