Setting up

Hello everyone sorry if I’m in wrong forum , I’m getting back into salt water but my last 55 gal had a built in box filter and all I used besides that was a protein skimmer, I bought a 55 gal tank with 75 lbs of live rock (dried out) tank is glass and front corners are rounded. I have the rock soaking in salt water @.23. I am wanting to get started on the build of tank to be up and running in about a month or sooner. The tank I have now has no holes drilled. My question here is should I use a filtration system or have tank drilled for sump. If sump can you guys recommend someone who drills and helps sets up the tank and sump. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Bburrage04
Forgot to mention

I think most here would agree if you have the means to do so...drill the tank for an overflow so you can have a sump. Obviously easier to hide all the moving parts and more water volume. 

• Like 1

Sumps give you more flexability and even though I have a system over a decade old that has no "filtration" (corals IMO are the primary filtration in a reef system) given the option I will always setup a system with one.   Before you drill you need to verify you don't have any tempored/safety galss used for the back or bottom, it will shatter if you attempt to drill it.  The club has a set of glass hole saws floating around somewhere and drilling a hole is pretty straght forward just pe patient and take it slow.   You also have the option of using an "over the back" overflow which doesn't require drilling.  

View the Glass Through Polarized Lenses

If you try to view tempered glass in sunlight with a polarized pair of sunglasses, you will see dark, shady spots or lines stretching across its surface–a prime indicator that the glass is toughened. These lines were formed by the machine rollers during the tempering process.