Need advice on tank I’m thinking about buying

Wade

I’ve come across a good deal on a tank that I can use for the built in I’ve been planning for the new house, but the overflow has me a bit perplexed.  The overflow is basically two 1.5” or 2” inch holes drilled in the back which currently just has two elbows angled at a 45 with some guards across it to keep fish from going down it.  I’m thinking I could have a coast-to-coast built to attach to it instead.  What do you all think?

A0D7303B-02FE-401A-B095-8FCEB8A687CA.jpeg

2262E551-767F-4158-8B60-A9CF4C2EFB68.jpeg

I would venture to say it might have been coast to coast or some type of calflo . but 1" would be roughly 700+gph that's some serious water moving, the elbows on a 45 might have been to reduce the turbulence and slightly modify the flow rate into the system. depending on what a good deal is, I've never had much luck with this kind of system. but you having a basement means you can run much bigger  pumps and not worry so much about the heat dispersion into the system. 

That could have been a fresh water tank. No sump. Good idea for a coast to coast. To achieve surface skimming you will need to have an internal overflow box. If you go this route you will need to clean the inside glass really really really well before attaching the glass box to the inside. Use aquarium structural silicone. You will have 2 drains. A main drain plus emergency. A herbie set up. My coast to coast is external 4' long and I use 2" PVC. I do a bean animal drain system. Return pump is a ReeFlo Barracuda/Hammerhead. It supplies my reactors as well as a return. I have it dialed back a bit.

So here’s the all that’s included for $1500.  Oh from what I understand, the guy that owned this ordered it built just like this for use as a saltwater tank because he ran the two overflow pipes through the walk into a closet where the sump was.  The other big tank shown is a 150.  All light fixtures shown (none are known names to me), chiller, 6 stage RODI, sumps, pumps, probably 300+ pounds of rock, reactors including a calcium reactor with two oxygen bottles, two MP40 wavemakers, frag tank, 40 breeder he used for a QT, salt, skimmers including that big one that’s about 3 foot tall (don’t know the brand), big UV filter, just a ton of stuff.  Oh, even includes a big Hayward pond pump and sand filter that looks fairly new.  

938FFC02-2502-4C97-9923-A0CD55267C7C.jpeg

13F1FF72-4698-4C71-89B7-FA74687EEDBB.jpeg

81F228F6-FEFD-44D5-BD00-793078C447B5.jpeg

F1BE7297-B34A-49E0-B6E2-8FFD19BB0D34.jpeg

8AE34EA8-4630-4057-B6ED-B33915B2450F.jpeg

47292256-831E-4EE3-92CC-8B8A1271CC82.jpeg

CC8D301D-5BA1-4A86-AA72-133B5B7CC6E3.jpeg

F6A93D9E-496F-4976-AB31-963ECA5E70EB.jpeg

BE4B4D16-8994-4FAC-BC86-63176F17730D.jpeg

6B8B9580-2FBD-4AF2-A76F-8714258FF24F.jpeg

5535F961-B0E5-42C2-B8F6-468900B30217.jpeg

2D301477-B02E-4417-896A-80289702D5EE.jpeg

84306424-5DDA-428C-83B9-D4E6C358ACE8.jpeg

As close to the top that the overflow hole is drilled I don't think one of these kits can be fitted to it.  I could use something like the overflow at the bottom though.  Thoughts?image.pngimage.pngimage.png

yeah and that's going to bug the crap out of me in the long run.  If there's no way to incorporate surface skimming then it's really not worth it to me.  I suppose I could mount a couple of internal overflow boxes, like you suggested earlier, around the holes like these:

image.png or something like this that I just found: image.png

Here's a link: https://www.customaquariums.com/information/h2overflow.html

Edited by Wade

I like the H20 Overflow option over the other option myself, I wonder how it would be on microbubbles and or slurping.  will the canopy or cover be built to hide them? I wouldn't want to see them or hear them. 

15 hours ago, Wade said:

The H2Overflow kits look like they would give me all the surface skimming i would need and would be very inconspicuous as well. 

I agree. The only thing missing is an emergency drain.  I guess you could have one just  a bit higher than the other so one is full flow and the other is partial. Might cover the main if it gets a bit backed up for some reason  Do you know if all the equipment works? If so this would be a good deal. Lots to play with.

@mhart032 The tank will be built in with a big room behind it ( http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38984-designing-the-fish-room-help ) so there shouldn't be any noise issues. 

@Dogfish As far as I've been told the whole system was up and running three weeks ago.  The guy that owned it passed away and his loser children decided it would be fine to just turn everything off and let everything die.  He was separated from his wife and she's the one that decided to sell it all for $1500 but it has to be gone by EOD tomorrow.  House is being auctioned.  I'll make a full inventory once have it all in storage.  Right now I have everything moved to storage except the 150 and the 270. 

2 hours ago, Wade said:

@mhart032 The tank will be built in with a big room behind it ( http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38984-designing-the-fish-room-help ) so there shouldn't be any noise issues. 

@Dogfish As far as I've been told the whole system was up and running three weeks ago.  The guy that owned it passed away and his loser children decided it would be fine to just turn everything off and let everything die.  He was separated from his wife and she's the one that decided to sell it all for $1500 but it has to be gone by EOD tomorrow.  House is being auctioned.  I'll make a full inventory once have it all in storage.  Right now I have everything moved to storage except the 150 and the 270. 

Oh ya the fish mansion with a house attached. :)))))