Small Nano Tank options / opinions

mhart032

Hey guys, its been a very long time since ive been on this forum, im looking to start another tank up, i still have my custom 40g starfire breeder in storage, but im looking to get back in small to start, i understand small tanks big issues more drastic changes and so forth, but alas i still want a nano a couple clowns and some zoas and a coupe little soft corals, and a small clean up crew. I know things in this hobby change dramatically over the last few years with leds and new equipment, can anyone suggest a small nano type setup that has seen good results. 

Thanks 

Matt 

Edited by mhart032

I have been looking at this setup this morning, maybe the 4gal option or this 7gal option. Im not really up to date on the led fixtures to know if the kessil brand is any good. But it looks like enough room in the overflow box for a micro skimmer as well. 

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/7-gallon-starphire-cube-w-kessil-a80-mount-waterbox/

Hey buddy, its going good, been a little while. I just happend to see the jawdropper monti in my email a few days ago had me thinking of how much i missed the beauty of a reef tank. No place better than ARC to catch up and get advice being out of it so long. 

• Like 2

Hey buddy, its going good, been a little while. I just happend to see the jawdropper monti in my email a few days ago had me thinking of how much i missed the beauty of a reef tank. No place better than ARC to catch up and get advice being out of it so long. 
For sure blast from the past!

Glad you're getting the itch again.

I don't know much about nano tanks but hopefully some people will chime in.

Good to see you back on here.

Well, that just feels like cheating lol, it looks nice the options are fantastic they did a great job putting that systems together Red Sea has come along way, but bigger than I really want to go with, here's what I have put together. being that its small want to concentrate on the high end coral and a pair of onyx or Darwin clowns. 

10Gal Waterbox 

Tunze 9004 Skimmer (already have from before) 

Kessil A360WE OR AI Prime HD w/ mount 

1 Vortech MP10 (already have from before, might use might not have to) 

Apex ,  (already have from before)

40Lbs Marco Dry rock (already have, never used still in box) 

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on the 20Gal waterbox, it came with the AI Prime HD for 400, ordered some sand, decided to replace everything except apex. everything has been sitting for 8 years so figured its all prob needs to be rebuilt or cleaned and what not. better safe than sorry. ordered a new tunze skimmer. probes for the apex and another 20lbs of rock to make sure I have the pieces I want for the aquascaping not looking forward to the diatoms or new tank syndrome cycling but eh oh well I want to start fresh, no stabilizers or prime this go around, it too small a body of water to play with, no room for mistakes.  

• Like 1

I'm having second thoughts about the Apex (i guess its a classic now) being that I'm not using a stand I'm not sure i can hide all the pieces parts to this unit, granted i don't have to use them all, even though i kind of want too, is it worth upgrading to the new Apex series, it looks to be 2 pieces, use tablet or phone for controller ( which i do with the old apex anyway) but can i justify the costs somehow to upgrade? I have pretty much everything w/ exception to the new modules and dosing pump options. it sure would be a ton easier to set the new apex behind the tank and forget about it though. thoughts? 

I'm having second thoughts about the Apex (i guess its a classic now) being that I'm not using a stand I'm not sure i can hide all the pieces parts to this unit, granted i don't have to use them all, even though i kind of want too, is it worth upgrading to the new Apex series, it looks to be 2 pieces, use tablet or phone for controller ( which i do with the old apex anyway) but can i justify the costs somehow to upgrade? I have pretty much everything w/ exception to the new modules and dosing pump options. it sure would be a ton easier to set the new apex behind the tank and forget about it though. thoughts? 
That's a pretty significant cost upgrade when they basically do the same thing but as far as equipment, might as well ger what you want now and install it once versus running for a couple years and upgrading later.