Killer Pods?

pbnj

I thought I'd share an interesting experience I've had with pods and newly-glued SPS frags.

With the last couple of SPS frag packs I've purchased, I've had a lot of death within 24 hours. I chalked the 1st time it happened up to different tank parameters.  With the 2nd pack, I lost 6 out of 10 overnight, with the remaining 4 on life support. Water testing showed no issues.

Then, I remembered something I had observed previously. Whenever I glue new frags, the pods (big amphipods) are all over them after lights-out. Could they be attracted to the glue and, as a result, stressing the frags?

I tested this theory last night, after I received another SPS pack. I put 8 newly-glued frags up high on a frag-rack instead of on the liverock. I also glued a couple of empty plugs to the rocks.

Result? After light-out, the empty plugs were swarming with pods and the frags were clear. This morning, all frags are alive and looking great.

Coincidence? Anecdotal evidence?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

I think they are doing there job and smell or sense the dead tissue on new frags. I have never thought they are the reason the frag died. Is strange they swarmed the glue on the empty discs. Maybe not the tissue they are smelling and more or less sense some new in the system and go looking for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the next test would be to see if the 'pods would choose between different options.  Setting in the sand next to rock work a frag plug with glue, a frag plug without glue, a frag with a bit of glue on it's broken end (not attached to a plug), and a frag without any glue (not attached to anything), and watching which one has the most visits by the 'pods would give some indication if it's the glue, something new or or stuff that's associated with frags.