It’s finally that time! It’s not a build, it’s an upgrade.

Christyef

Call a plumber :-)))))

Maybe a bulkhead?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. But plumbers are so dang expensive! I emptied the sump, lifted it, yet it dry underneath for several hours. Filled it while still sitting on egg cate. Let it sit some more. No water. Emptied it again. Put it on a foam pad. Filled it again and let it sit. Still no water. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️. At a loss. So, I turned the pump back on and let it run awhile. Still saw no water. Except where it was supposed to be. Lol. I decided to turn the pump off overnight this time bc of evaporation and it’s really too strong to run as is right now. Maybe the slight bit of splashing accumulated enough to make the puddle. Even tho it was on the opposite end of the stand, I guess it’s possible. Who knows. Just wanna make sure ALL the kinks are out before I bring it inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8b664be4e581bf7c76c3ee62848f864b.jpgThis is SO me in my garage doing my upgrade! There is stuff everywhere! All my pile and fittings are black and red. All my tools are Milwaukee, also black and red. Including my tape measure. It begins to all blend together and I can’t find anything! Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, the plan is to swap tanks this weekend! Woohoo! I’ve got a 3-day wkend for Labor Day so that will be perfect! Provided the unions I got for the skimmer work, all will be ready! Yay! I got a 100 gal tub to begin transferring everything over. If it’s only going to be for a few days, will some live rock from my tank, a heater, and a powerhead be enough? Or will I need a skimmer/HOB filter/canister?
I’ve encountered a problem though. The bulkhead for my return line is 4” below my water surface. I thought I could build a tee and put in locline on both sides, keep them angled somewhat high, and that would be my siphon break. Well, I tested that theory last night, and it didn’t work. I’m not sure if the tee is leaking by bc it’s not glued in, or the actual locline fittings are bleeding by. Either way, my sump isn’t big enough to hold that much water. Because my overflow box is so high, my water lever is at the tip top of my tank. Could I put notches in the box and lower the water level some? Suggestions?

Yeah, I would find a way to lower the water level in the tank if I understood correctly.  I can't recall how low my return bulkheads are off the top of my head, but waterline is definitely more than an inch below the rim.

• Like 1

d84a1c6ccd4df05fed66bf19f145207f.jpgddd3eee064d1e31c548e270845115dfe.jpgf16e76958e08539625e5e10b8f77867f.jpg It May be very hard to see anything from these pictures. I tried to show how close the top of the box is to the top of the tank. As well as the drains being high, but they will have 90’s on top of them. Do you think 1” slots will be sufficient?

I don't see any slots in the overflow at all right now?  My overflow has slots that go down to 1.5" below the rim of the aquarium (it's rimless).  This leaves the water in the tank about 1.25" below the rim.  From the rim of the tank to the top of the return bulkhead is about 1.375".

Correct. There are no slots at all. I think I need to cut them to lower the water level. That will also insure my sump won’t overflow when the power does go out. It will go out again. Lol. I’ll use a cutting wheel on my grinder and cut some today after work. I didn’t get to work on the tank at all last night bc I had a dog emergency and she had to be rushed to the vet. [emoji51]. All is well, and I’ll begin working again tonight

Yesterday wasn’t perfect, but not a disaster either. I only broke one fitting. Lol. I was tightening the unions on the back once we got the tank in place, and the 1” on the return cracked right in 1/2! So, I had to get a repair coupling and that was fixed quickly. Also, miscalculated my RO/salt making. My brute cans are only 30 gal. Not 50. Oops. I’m up this am filling again and about 3/4 way full
I got the lights mounted no problem. The eco tech hanging kit was way cheaper than the arm. It’s very simple to use and looks very good. I’m having a heck of a time even creating an account to be able to control said lights, but I’ll keep trying
I’ve lost an urchin, male skunk clown, and my euphyllia are PISSED! The water was pretty cloudy last night in the tub, so I did a small 5 gal Water change. Too early to see if any more fish have died. ☹️☹️☹️☹️. I’ll have them all in their new home today.

253d4c5f5e1ace07ff99d290fff33d49.jpgThe most exhausting stressful weekend. I’m never upgrading again. Lol. I’m very happy with the results and the fish seem so happy with al the new space! Still have wires and a mess all over the living room floor, but for the next few days, it’s going to sit there. Lol. I got the ATO and sump light hooked up. That’s the important stuff. Still don’t know how to work the radions. Hopefully I can get customer service on the phone today.

• Like 3

253d4c5f5e1ace07ff99d290fff33d49.jpgThe most exhausting stressful weekend. I’m never upgrading again. Lol. I’m very happy with the results and the fish seem so happy with al the new space! Still have wires and a mess all over the living room floor, but for the next few days, it’s going to sit there. Lol. I got the ATO and sump light hooked up. That’s the important stuff. Still don’t know how to work the radions. Hopefully I can get customer service on the phone today.

Looks great Christy! You've put in a lot of hard work on this thing!
  • Like 1

Looks great Christy! You've put in a lot of hard work on this thing!

Thank you. I have. I’m glad it’s over. [emoji23]. Ecotech was able to set up my account, but now my computer won’t allow me to download the stuff I need to run the program. 🤦‍♀️. I’m sure it’s something I’m doing bc I’m very technologically impaired. Lol. So, I’m going to take my computer in today and see if they can help me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness I need to touch base. So much has been going on. Working a lot. I can’t upload videos on Tapatalk and I suck on a computer, so I avoid the whole thing. ☹️. The tank is doing great. I have my skimmer on line and my ATS. My phosphates are high bc of my tds plus some of the very few rocks I brought over are leaching. I had to make so much water during the transfer, i depleted all my media. I’ll be receiving new filters as well as an extra resin canister from BRS tomorrow. I’m no expert, but I think this is why. I absolutely love the radions. I got my computer updated and the software installed correctly. Work great. I have some diatom issues going on now, but that can be expected. I had my rock cycling in the garage with a bottle of Dr. Tim’s and one of my rocks from my 55, but it was so dang hot, it may have killed all the bacteria. None of my corals or fish seem to be affected by it, so I’ll let it run its course
I haven’t put my media reactor on line yet bc there is a Stars and Stripes puffer in my sump. He was starving at a LFS and I brought him to my bin. He’s healthy and now fat as a cow on all my zoas. [emoji35]. Awaiting transfer to his new home. Hopefully tomorrow . I am running carbon and Metabolix in a media bag until I’m able to install the spyglass where it goes. Love the skimmer! It’s a beast. May switch to an internal one someday just to free up space in my stand. I’ll try to get some videos. Jen is trying to reach me how. Lol

• Like 1