Need advice

Beaux

Sorry for not replying to this in a while. Been in the hospital for quite some time now.

I did find a remedy for this but not a cure yet. By leaving just the moonlight setting on for over werks give or take, when was released I came home to find all but small spots on the substrate. All my live rock was fully free of it.

However only after 2 days at full spectrum I can clearly see some new growth.

It is wonder that came back to anything at all. My roommate knew nothing about salinity an only lost one blue chromis, with one tank reading 1.29
an the larget tank coming in att 1..30, no coral deaths but pleanty of pissed ones!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you've been hospitalized.  At least there was someone there to help watch the tanks.  I hope the tanks are no worse for the salinity issue.  Lower it slowly.
Thanks Sierra,
I can definitely tell ya the third coma is no easier than the firt.

And definitely need to school my roommates better on my sal tanks lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What a bummer!  Glad you're doing better and posting! 

I wouldn't say there's a "cure" per se.  It's a balance in the equilibrium of the ecosystem that promotes corals or algae.   Nuisance algae is always present and ready to take over if corals are disrupted or herbivores are removed.    And I would be careful using blue light to get rid of stuff.   It can have just as negative effect on corals as it does algae.   One of the problems with assuming bright colors in corals equates to "healthy" is one of the functions for fluorescing proteins corals make is antioxidants to deal with the excess oxygen molecules from photosynthesis.   Using a lot of UVA and shorter wavelength blue light might make for brighter colors but it's not without it's risks.

Tyree used to sell sponges so you might try his website http://reeffarmers.com   Sponges also come on quality maricultured liverock.

Regarding rinsing your sand and reusing it I don't see any problem with that, I've just found it easier over the years to replace it in most cases. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, Christyef said:

. . . But I’ve never heard what Tim said about healthy corals competing with the algae. . .

To be honest I'm not surprised.   Researchers have noted there is a disconnect between coral science and hobbyists.   So when I've been told by supposedly well educated hobbists that the science I post "doesn't apply" or is "an outrageous fabrication"  or I should stop posting there's clearly a mindset that doesn't want their assumptions questioned.

• Like 1

To be honest I'm not surprised.   Researchers have noted there is a disconnect between coral science and hobbyists.   So when I've been told by supposedly well educated hobbists that the science I post "doesn't apply" or is "an outrageous fabrication"  or I should stop posting there's clearly a mindset that doesn't want their assumptions questioned.

I never told you not to post Tim. I was trying to save you from someone trolling you. I'm glad you let that go.