Beaux

Need advice

Sorry if this is on the wrong section.  I did not know where else to post it. 

A good while back I started the cycle on my 40 gallon. I used the frozen shrimp in the mesh bag method. About 1/2 way into cycle I decided it was not a good location.

I use live sand (black Hawaiian). The tank was a little to close to a door knob so I decided to relocate it. Only other space I had was in a double window, so I bought some Black out curtains. 

I could not get the temp low enough there, but 5 weeks in the cycle was just about done, started adding live rock and invested in a cooler, but the algae was out of control in one strip of the tank.

Move number 3, broke it back down, left just enough water to keep the sand wet, and about 15 gallons of the tank water.

Even though I thought I was doing everything I could to save it the bio died off. I was ghost feeding and using bio booster. Basically repeating the same steps as before.

I was absent for a little over a week last week. Got home and thought it would be close to being ready. 14 weeks.

I am pretty sure that I lost all the bacteria from the live rock, and still adding the bio booster daily now.

Even now at the end of week 14, it is like it never started the cycle.  No measurments moving in either direction. No diatoms no bubbles on the rock.

Should I just keep at it, or scrap it and start again with everything new?

Flow is great, good lighting in place, but nothings moving. Is there something i am just not seeing?

Greatful for any advice on this.

We are looking for numbers ; Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate  What were they last week and what are they today.

Did your rock stay wet? Not under water just wet?

You added Bio booster did you add any flake food or food source for the bacteria?

Dogfish

Numbers never changed all 0's across the boards. No drops and no rises..

As I stated earlier I started with a shrip in a mesh bag and did ghost fees. Once with a full cube of mysis shrimp followed by a full veggie kind reef food.

The only thing right is the salinity 1.25 and my ph is 7.3 which im adding buffer again to bring it up.

Started testing after the 4th day, and nothing registered, ever. No spikes or drops. My kits are brand new, even took samples to RCA to confirm. As far as the live rock it was removed but only to a bucketful of the same tank water until I replaced in the tank. Maybe 30 to 45 minutes

I have tested every 3 to 4 days, with the exception of last week. No ammonia nitrate or nitrite spikes ever happened. I am going to retest right now all the way and post the complete results.

One other thing,  I used nothing but RCA'S salt water to start but have had to several gallon top offs with thier RO, over time of course. Not all at once.

If it was me I would to dose it with some ammonia. Maybe 1ppm and see if I got any nitrite or nitrate after a day or 2. I find it hard to believe there is no bacteria in the tank.

+1 throw some ammonia in there.  I used the Dr Tim's but I'm sure there are probably cheaper alternatives

Ph 7.5

Ammonia 0

Cal 200

Kh 5

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Ph4 .25

Gh 1

Sal 1.25

When you say ammonia, i have ammonia lock. Is that the same thing?

Thanks for all the great help.

I did use the ammonia, but more inportantly the reason why the bacteria did not live for long. 

What I though was enough on the ghost feeding was not enough to sustain the bio.

I added the ammonia like everyone recommended and trippled what I was feeding.

I am already seeing the results in just two days time. Diatom and nitrogen bubbles from new live rock.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and support!

• Like 1