Eel habitats

Christyef

I’m trying to get ideas for my 140 upgrade. I have a 3’ zebra eel and want to make a good habitat for her. I’m thinking pvc under the sand, but not sure what size. I’ve read that it needs to be big enough for her to turn around but small enough for her to feel safe. And then that has to be covered with sand... [emoji51]. A 2” pvc is ALOT of sand! But an H-structure for her would be neat. With 45’s on the ends at the corners so I could see her and sand wouldn’t fill the pipe. I have to also make sure there is good flow/circulation through(?) the tunnels. Maybe an MP10 pointing down one “leg”? Ideas? Thoughts? Anyone have experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can drill holes in the pvc for added flow if you have water going into the pipe. That way sand wont go in the small holes. You can also use some clear pvc in parts so you can see in. Place a Tee with a pipe pointing up then a 45 and aim the power head at the 45 opening. Eel habitrail . Maybe they have a ball he can hang out in.

eel.jpg

That’s pretty elaborate. [emoji106]I was also thinking I could do a tunnel in the back and hide the pipes with rockscape

Ive seen your plumbing skills. You could make this out of pvc pipe and place it under the rock. If your worried about it showing thru the sand they have that spray paint that looks like sand or rock texture.

Thank you! The thing that worries my the most with something that elaborate, is the detritus that would collect under there. No CUC could keep it maintained bc they would quickly become dinner. [emoji6]. I’m certain it’s been done before, but my searches on google and YouTube have come up empty. I must be typing in the wrong search words

Archived