In need of a coral babysitter.

Vernon Saunders

Hi all, Due to some crazy unforeseen stuff... I have to move to FL. I am looking for someone who can take care of my corals until I get a new tank set up over there. I will pay for the shipping required when the time comes so don't worry about that. As of right now it looks like I need to be leaving on Saturday and I am going off that plan as of right now, If things change I will let yall know. 

too far for me... dont let [mention=463]FarmerTy[/mention] do it, how you think he has such a large variety? [emoji4]
I'm out of the running... Have a strict no coral harboring policy. Last time I did I got bubble algae. [emoji20]

My curse is anything that I don't find a Babysitter for or fish get sold are basically going to be sold or donated to a LFS since a store credit isn't going o help me much. Really wish I could keep everything but I don't think the fish would appreciate the distance and also no way I could get the tank set up in a quick enough manner to make sure they would survive after the trip. 

Worse comes to worse - go get your store credit and then sell it (the credit) to a forum member.  It would be simpler, easier, and faster to accomplish.  Notify the fish store what is going on if it'll be under your name and not a physical receipt.  Buying your credit would appeal to a lot more people than specific fish.

I could do that for any fish I don't sell and the store would be the Aquadome and the credit they give is just on a receipt so wouldn't be to much of an issue for that. I can still hope to find a babysitter for the corals though... I am proud of what I have done with mine and would really love to keep them if at all possible.

Since finding a sitter is apparently not going to happen... someone with more experience tell me if this idea would work... I get an All-In One nano system and bring enough of my current tank water and some rock with me and throw it in the nano to keep my corals until I get a bigger tank. 

19 minutes ago, Vernon Saunders said:

Since finding a sitter is apparently not going to happen... someone with more experience tell me if this idea would work... I get an All-In One nano system and bring enough of my current tank water and some rock with me and throw it in the nano to keep my corals until I get a bigger tank. 

Could work. You can put your corals in a large cooler with a small power head plugged into an inverter. Plug that into your cig lighter if driving straight thru.

I was thinking of just putting them in bags in a cooler since no matter how I do this it will be a 2 day trip and figured it would be no different than an overnight shipping... since that is basically what I am doing just with me driving them.

Vernon,

Honest opinion is sell them all and get new ones in Florida. Odds are they survive the travel to Florida but die from an unstable new tank setup that will run through some small cycles over the next couple of months.

But if you are up for the challenge, then yes, bag them, put them in a temp controlled cooler, and drive there as quick as possible. If reusing the same rock, rinse it like crazy and transport in buckets with water in them. Then rinse again before putting in new tank. Add new sandbed and add bacteria in a bottle and fire it up.

Then monitor ammonia and nutrient levels and make additional water changes as needed while the tank stabilizes.

32 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Vernon,

Honest opinion is sell them all and get new ones in Florida. Odds are they survive the travel to Florida but die from an unstable new tank setup that will run through some small cycles over the next couple of months.

But if you are up for the challenge, then yes, bag them, put them in a temp controlled cooler, and drive there as quick as possible. If reusing the same rock, rinse it like crazy and transport in buckets with water in them. Then rinse again before putting in new tank. Add new sandbed and add bacteria in a bottle and fire it up.

Then monitor ammonia and nutrient levels and make additional water changes as needed while the tank stabilizes.

Spoken like someone who has set up a tank or 2

Spoken like someone who has set up a tank or 2
... darn... Was really hoping I would have a shot if I couldn't find a sitter... Guess it can't be helped. I'm just going to have to lose everything in this move.
I did move a 12 gallon nanocube from Cali to Austin and drove 22 hrs straight to minimize down-time for the tank. Fortunately it was only GSP, mushrooms, and some zoas and they mostly survived but I just wouldn't recommend it. I could have sold them and bought new ones in Austin when I made it there.

Well since I have SPS and LPS so I guess my chances go down. One of the frags is a juiceman blue frag other sps is a green tip purple acro. LPS is a hammer coral, pagoda cup, favia and a chalice.
If there is a lot of sentimental value to the corals, then drop off at a local fish store with the intent to have them ship them to you once you've set up a new tank and cycled it.

20 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Vernon,

+1. The stress of moving is enough to deal with and you don't need the added anxiety. By now your timeline is pretty short. Maybe post it as a bulk buy? You could also trade them in and sell the credit. 

Archived