Blonde Naso Tang

Cdklos

Not sure where to post questions about fish...so I’ll throw it up here and see if you guys can help me.

I got a new blonde naso 2 days ago from live aquaria. He looks great, swims around the quarantine tank and seems generally fine, but he won’t eat. He is in a 20 gallon quarantine tank that is well established. I’m running cuppramine in the tank at .5. I’ve done a 50% water change the day before I added the new fish to the quarantine. No ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. He is about 2.5” long. There is also a Leutennant tang and a long nose hawk in the tank. The Lt. is about 3” long and the hawk is about 2”. There has been zero aggression between the two tangs, and they were all added at the same time. I’ve tried mysis, spirulina, mega-marine angel, nori, and dr. Gs. I have done mixtures of all the different foods together. Tried feeding at different times during the day. I’ve put nori on clips and  tied to rocks. I’ve soaked the food in garlic and tried with no garlic. When I feed he comes out and seems excited to eat, swims up to food and then passes it by. What else should I try? I’ve managed to get angels to eat with no real issues, but this guy won’t eat anything! I have seen him nibble at some of the live rock every once in a while, but not too much. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

4D0C3380-B77C-4094-94C3-A812D0BC6E9A.jpeg

59140D57-1283-4FB3-8E4C-188D34C7DECE.jpeg

FA4924A2-F781-4E76-8834-F5CA3A7BB55E.jpeg

If he’s nibbling at the rocks that’s a good sign. Not eating for a few days won’t kill him. Have you tried any pellets or flakes. Also, maybe pickup some live brine? I also didn’t see any worms, maybe some blood worms.

just thinking of what you haven’t tried.

also, you shouldn’t have live rock in with cupramine. It will soak it into the rock.

Agreed with Juiceman, if he's nibbling the rocks, it's a good sign.  They are notorious for hunger strikes during QT and first introduced into the tank.

Try some red algae sheets rubberbanded to a rock too.  I have some ulva that my blonde naso loves if you want any.  Got tons of it.

Agreed also with the live rock, when you treat with copper, there should be no live rock as it absorbs the medication and your therapeutic levels will be lower than needed for treatment.  I'd recommend chelated copper like copperpower or coppersafe, much easier on the fish.  Just make sure you use a test kit that can test for chelated copper like the API test kit. Not all of them do.

Naso Tangs are more timid than others and it can take a few days before they start to feel comfortable enough to eat mysis. IME it takes tangs 1-2 weeks of constant introduction before they eat from a clip. I've had faster success tying the greens to a rock, but make sure you remove it every night so it doesn't foul the water. I've never used garlic so I don't know if that helps or just makes the tank dirty.

Thanks for all the replies!

I put live rock in there so the picky eaters would at least have something to pick at...Before I put any fish in there I put a bunch of copper in there so the live rock would absorb it, I left it like that for a week or so then did water changes to bring the copper levels back down and they have been at .5 can consistently for 1+ months. For the next quarantine I will try Coppersafe, I like the fact that it’s easier on the fish, didn’t know that! I will try putting some worms in there and some Ulva. Will he eat once he gets hungry or will he starve himself to death? Also, can I get red algae at the LFS? Never seen red algae.

7 hours ago, Cdklos said:

Thanks for all the replies!

I put live rock in there so the picky eaters would at least have something to pick at...Before I put any fish in there I put a bunch of copper in there so the live rock would absorb it, I left it like that for a week or so then did water changes to bring the copper levels back down and they have been at .5 can consistently for 1+ months. For the next quarantine I will try Coppersafe, I like the fact that it’s easier on the fish, didn’t know that! I will try putting some worms in there and some Ulva. Will he eat once he gets hungry or will he starve himself to death? Also, can I get red algae at the LFS? Never seen red algae.

They can potentially starve themselves to death so it's important to keep working on getting it to eat.

I actually found the red sheets at Petco of all places but that was years ago... Omega one red seaweed sheets.  

I don't know where you're getting ulva from but have tons of it live in my frag tank if needed.

• 1 month later...

Unsure if youre still QTing your Blonde Naso. Mine started off eating the first 3 days and ate everything from NLS to nori and mysis. 

After Prazi it went on a hunger strike for 4 days. It now eats alot, but only mysis and it ignores everything else oddly.