Next fish purchase - looking at Anthias

Sierra Bravo

This weekend it appears I'll be able to clear my QT tank by re-introducing my white tail bristle tooth tang and purple tang back into the DT.  They had been put together in time-out until they learned to get along with one another, which seems to have worked (thanks for the guidance, Ty).

With that completed, the next fish I have on the list are anthias.  Currently my 120 gallon houses the following fish:

• Goby/shrimp pair
  • Pair of clowns
  • Four chromis
  • Mystery wrasse
  • White tail bristletooth tang
  • Purple tang

I would ideally like a male and three female anthias.  I am not too fond of the species that look orange, like the lyretails or dispars - they look a bit too much like goldfish to me.  I'm leaning more towards Bartlett's, Evansi, Resplendant, Randals. . . but the one I like the most visually is the Ventralis. 

However, my tank is very bright and I am away for business quite a bit, so deep water and very finicky species are probably not a smart choice.  Plus I want to stay on the small side.  Bartlett looks like the safe bet.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Resplendents all the way... Like a poorman's ventralis without having to worry about the behavioral quirks of a deep water species that hides a lot.  Stays relatively small compared to other anthias and only goldfish I've seen look like it was a $500 koi. They are just hard to come by but I got Jake at RCA hunting more down for me.

Resplendents all the way... Like a poorman's ventralis without having to worry about the behavioral quirks of a deep water species that hides a lot.  Stays relatively small compared to other anthias and only goldfish I've seen look like it was a $500 koi. They are just hard to come by but I got Jake at RCA hunting more down for me.
Ty,

I have 5 females on my upcoming stocking list also. They've actually been available from LA on and off for the past few months but my QT was occupied.

Would you say that the LA pick of them is accurate? I've yet to see one in person so I'm hesitant to rely on online pics.5afb81a6872df9062498d09bc1a924df.jpg

I have bartletts.  All they do is fight with each other.   The females spend all their time trying to figure out how not to be noticed by the male.
I concur with Jolt. When I had Bartletts in my old 75g, they were pretty much d1cks.

2 minutes ago, Good Greef said:

Ty,

I have 5 females on my upcoming stocking list also. They've actually been available from LA on and off for the past few months but my QT was occupied.

Would you say that the LA pick of them is accurate? I've yet to see one in person so I'm hesitant to rely on online pics.5afb81a6872df9062498d09bc1a924df.jpg

Not at all, much better looking in my opinion in person.  You should have stared longer at my tank, there were 2 in there when you came by.

IMG_20180316_003106.jpg

Not at all, much better looking in my opinion in person.  You should have stared longer at my tank, there were 2 in there when you came by.

IMG_20180316_003106.thumb.jpg.aa276efe9b5686b1fd6512f67bec937c.jpg
So it has more of a Bartletts pink, rather than a red/orange. Good to know.

No, just one species.  But now you guys are starting to make me question if Quality Marine sent me bimaculatus instead of resplendents awhile ago.  I'll check with Jake since I got them still in the bag from him so he never saw them.

That's what threw me when I was at your house - remember I asked you again what they were?  I couldn't find a picture online of a resplendent that had that same combination of yellow dorsal, anal, and caudel fins along with the pink hue your females have.

Bimaculatus does, however.  Does it have the yellow eye stripe?

1110307.jpg

16 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:

That's what threw me when I was at your house - remember I asked you again what they were?  I couldn't find a picture online of a resplendent that had that same combination of yellow dorsal, anal, and caudel fins along with the pink hue your females have.

Bimaculatus does, however.  Does it have the yellow eye stripe?

1110307.jpg

I just try to confuse and befuddle everyone.  Yes it does have the yellow eye stripe.  I'm pretty sure once I actually took a good look at it that I have bimacs, I'm just waiting for Jake to confirm first.

52 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:

BTW - how are you buying from QM?  Aren't they a wholesaler?

Good greef has me covered.  I order through RCA, I just happen to know which vendor the fish came from.

20 minutes ago, Good Greef said:
52 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:
BTW - how are you buying from QM?  Aren't they a wholesaler?

They are, but he's going through a retailer (RCA)

Thanks bud for answering that.

Confirmed from Jake, they sent the wrong anthias and I ended up with Bimaculatus instead of resplendents.  Please disregard anything that's ever come out of my mouth  because apparently I know nothing! 😕

24 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Confirmed from Jake, they sent the wrong anthias and I ended up with Bimaculatus instead of resplendents.  Please disregard anything that's ever come out of my mouth  because apparently I know nothing! 😕

I hate it when they subsititute like that.  Quality Marine is notorious for that.  For a reseller it makes more sense, but for the hobbiest, we want what we ordered not a substitute.

Just now, jolt said:

I hate it when they subsititute like that.  Quality Marine is notorious for that.  For a reseller it makes more sense, but for the hobbiest, we want what we ordered not a substitute.

I know, I wish it was like HEB online ordering... Click the no substitute button!  I don't want HEB waffles, I want eggos!  Congrats on the sweet leopard wrasse by the way.  They are hilarious to get through QT.

22 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Whoops.   Don't tell the fish; they've gone their whole lives not realizing they're "Bi".   They'll come out when they're ready.  😄

Archived