Sb reef led question. Cross posted

Bpb

I tried contacting sbreef about this but they won’t respond which is a little disheartening. I purchased a used 60” sbreef actinic bar. It’s less than one year old (I know because I bought it from a buddy and I remember when he ordered it).

The shield has dark black burn spots and cracks over all the 420 diodes. Anyone experience this?

Can I remove the acrylic shield or maybe dremmel cut holes out over the violet diodes so the light actually makes it to the tank. As of now the light is almost blocked entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried contacting sbreef about this but they won’t respond which is a little disheartening. I purchased a used 60” sbreef actinic bar. It’s less than one year old (I know because I bought it from a buddy and I remember when he ordered it).

The shield has dark black burn spots and cracks over all the 420 diodes. Anyone experience this?

Can I remove the acrylic shield or maybe dremmel cut holes out over the violet diodes so the light actually makes it to the tank. As of now the light is almost blocked entirely.

I'm curious myself. I'll try to reach out to the owner as well. I'm not an LED expert, is there something about the 420 diodes that cause this phenomenon? Is it really because of the UV spectrum just breaking down the acrylic or heat from the diode itself?

I think it’s the small amount of UV that is degrading the acrylic and I have heard of this happening before. The diodes are all still working it’s just that the burns are blocking most the light. I’m mainly curious if anyone runs these without optics and shields.

This is a problem with any polycarbonate lenses close to a shorter wavelength blue and UV LEDs.    Making holes like you are thinking works well but is also exposes the LED conections to saltwater.  Siliconing another piece of acrylic or polycarbonate would protect the LEDs and be replaceable.

I have a picture of a new and a burnt 1 1/2 year old Radion lens in a  thread by Wade

For repairing BML lenses that have fried I cut a strip off the polycarbonate sheets from home improvement stores for drop cieling troffer lights and replace the complete lens using silicone to hold it to the fixture.

20170214_090411.jpg.50c6c231007d66910ccd

I have a picture of a new and a burnt 1 1/2 year old Radion lens in a  thread by Wade
For repairing BML lenses that have fried I cut a strip off the polycarbonate sheets from home improvement stores for drop cieling troffer lights and replace the complete lens using silicone to hold it to the fixture.

20170214_090411.jpg.50c6c231007d66910ccd753b6ea4c13d.jpg

I think you mistakenly posted the radions pic twice. At any rate. It’s definitely on the acrylic splash shield. Not on the diodes or optics themselves

So the burned areas are going to be circular spots kinda like the rectangular areas on the BML fixture below.   Drilling out the burnt areas can work but keep in mind the optics are just setting on the LEDs and the clear spalsh cover is holding them in place.  If the burnt areas are only on the clear splash cover the optics are reflector types and will need cleaning after drilling.  There's also not any coating sealing the LEDs so repairing the clear splash guard someway will keep salt spray off the circuit board inside.

20180415_205626.jpg

Yup, pictures definitely help  :smile:.   I would be very interested in seeing the lens but you will need to be careful drilling out the acrylic.  The cup that's holding the lens might or might not be attached but the lens itself is just sitting in it and the clear splash cover is holding it in place.   Replacing  the cover would be best if they haven't used adhesive to provide a watertight seal.

If they haven’t used adhesives I’m thinking about just going to the hardware store and having them cut me 5-2”x12” sheets of glass out of one 12”x12” piece and replacing the acrylic shield with those. Solve the problem forever

Archived