Family Hospitalized after palytoxin gets in the air!

Juiceman

On April 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM, FarmerTy said:

In my will is to disseminate my coral collection to the members of ARC. You might have still got a piece. emoji4.png

Oh wait, I shouldn't have said anything. There is going to be a price on my head now. emoji27.png

Your coral collection only has to be dismantled so you can be buried in your tank, I'm glad we aren't good enough friends for me to have to be a pall bearer......  Your funeral will have the slogan, "come on guys one last tank move".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reburn said:

Your coral collection only has to be dismantled so you can be buried in your tank, I'm glad we aren't good enough friends for me to have to be a pall bearer......  Your funeral will have the slogan, "come on guys one last tank move".

I wouldn't do that to everyone... I'd get cremated and my ashes used to make FarmerTy frag plugs and donated to the club so I can live on in everyone's tanks.  That took a really morbid turn...

1 hour ago, BobcatReefer said:

4:1 odds that Ty has already emailed his lawyer and asked that this be included in his will. 🤣

How about cremation and buried in my old 12 gallon nanocube?  It was the tank I ran the longest anyways... 5 years.

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I wouldn't do that to everyone... I'd get cremated and my ashes used to make FarmerTy frag plugs and donated to the club so I can live on in everyone's tanks.  That took a really morbid turn...

How about cremation and buried in my old 12 gallon nanocube?  It was the tank I ran the longest anyways... 5 years.

This place is weird.

I'm so glad I took a look at this thread. Given that I'm just starting into reefing this is a must for all newbies. I will be changing my list of coral selection. Thanks for the post!

• 2 weeks later...

so poorly written. didnt say "palytoxin" ONCE.  said palythoa towards the end.  its like they made a fluff piece, not a warning story.

also, who scrubs algae off something soft? thats just weird.

Yeah, easy for someone not familiar with reef aquaria to assume any coral is capable of poisoning anyone.  😕     Next time I see Hunter I'll have to ask how much of his interview they didn't air.

• 3 weeks later...
I need to move this rock, and it’s likely that some of these purple palys will get squished in the process. Am I going to die?

a7c090c7e884ba626167194dfaadae37.jpg
You won't die... You may writhe in pain for hours on end and make weird faces but that's it. [emoji51]

Well that doesn't sound ideal either.  Is there any way to determine which palys are toxic/dangerous and which aren't?
Lick them? Kidding.

You'll be fine moving the rock, just wear gloves. Will it end up tearing any polyps during the move?

I need to move this rock, and it’s likely that some of these purple palys will get squished in the process. Am I going to die?

a7c090c7e884ba626167194dfaadae37.jpg

If any fall off, I’ll take them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

Not to be a pain here but wanting to avoid pain. I found 6 brown palys on the rock my duncan is on. I assume since Im in Texas they are Texas trash. I can take the rock out to work on it. I have long arm gloves, goggles and a mask. Should I cut them off close to the base and paste over whats left of them with something like aptasia-x ? Or ??????

3 hours ago, Dogfish said:

Not to be a pain here but wanting to avoid pain. I found 6 brown palys on the rock my duncan is on. I assume since Im in Texas they are Texas trash. I can take the rock out to work on it. I have long arm gloves, goggles and a mask. Should I cut them off close to the base and paste over whats left of them with something like aptasia-x ? Or ??????

If it were me, I'd do the work under water. Grab a tube of reef putty, and cover them. Run some carbon passively in the sump. Most of these stories stem from crazy bad luck -- drilling rock in the kitchen sink and spraying paly juice everywhere, or boiling rock covered in them. My brain tells me those are terrible ideas. 

I guess depending on your comfort (risk aversion) level you could just carefully scrap them off with a knife.  The 2 CDC reports I've read involved heat to airosolize the poison and the other reports involve some other method that airosolized the toxin.   If teh colony is firmly attached and realatively easy to reach in your tank I use stainless steel straws stuck in the end of a siphon hose to scrap and siphon out palies (and other invasive stuff).  As far as it harming other animals palytoxin is found in a lot of other animals including fish so it's negative impact on your animals is likely to be minimal and species specific. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timfish said:

I guess depending on your comfort (risk aversion) level you could just carefully scrap them off with a knife.  The 2 CDC reports I've read involved heat to airosolize the poison and the other reports involve some other method that airosolized the toxin.   If teh colony is firmly attached and realatively easy to reach in your tank I use stainless steel straws stuck in the end of a siphon hose to scrap and siphon out palies (and other invasive stuff).  As far as it harming other animals palytoxin is found in a lot of other animals including fish so it's negative impact on your animals is likely to be minimal and species specific. 

Im not worried about the toxin as much as I want to be sure i can get rid of them. Scraping them off will be ok as I will do that in a plastic tub under water. If i cant get every last piece off the rock do they spread like aptasia?

I don't see any zoa/paly just pop up like Aiptasia have the habit of doing from fragments floating around when removing them so I don't worry about scraping them off in a tank.  If there's a little bit of tissue left they can grow back but they are not as fast as Xenia, Anthelia or Aiptasia.  Here's a video project I started after Juiceman first posted this thread I haven't gotten back to finishing.

• Like 2