Citron Goby won’t eat

I purchased a Citron Goby three weeks ago from the Aquadome. I had been watching him for about 3 weeks prior to purchasing, and when I finally did purchase him he looked fat and happy. The employee told me that he had been a finicky eater at first but was eating mysis shrimp “like a champ”.

Once I got the fish home, I placed him in my quarantine tank and was feeding him Marine Cuisine’s Carnivore frozen food. He was doing great at first. Unfortunately, he has pretty much stopped eating over the past two weeks. I hand feed him at least twice a day and he attacks the tweezers with a vengeance every time! But then he spits out whatever food I’m offering him and completely loses interest. I’ve tried the marine cuisine, fish eggs, cyclo-peeze, and green algae. I’ve also tried each of these foods soaked in garlic. Nothing seems appealing to him. Any ideas?! I feel like I’m watching him slowly waste away. 

P.S. I started seeing the change in eating behavior after I dosed the quarantine tank with prazi-pro. It could be a coincidence, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I purchased a Citron Goby three weeks ago from the Aquadome. I had been watching him for about 3 weeks prior to purchasing, and when I finally did purchase him he looked fat and happy. The employee told me that he had been a finicky eater at first but was eating mysis shrimp “like a champ”.
Once I got the fish home, I placed him in my quarantine tank and was feeding him Marine Cuisine’s Carnivore frozen food. He was doing great at first. Unfortunately, he has pretty much stopped eating over the past two weeks. I hand feed him at least twice a day and he attacks the tweezers with a vengeance every time! But then he spits out whatever food I’m offering him and completely loses interest. I’ve tried the marine cuisine, fish eggs, cyclo-peeze, and green algae. I’ve also tried each of these foods soaked in garlic. Nothing seems appealing to him. Any ideas?! I feel like I’m watching him slowly waste away. 

P.S. I started seeing the change in eating behavior after I dosed the quarantine tank with prazi-pro. It could be a coincidence, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Prazipro can be an appetite supressant. Maybe stop using it for a bit and see if the appetite returns?

I would do as Ty suggests, run some carbon and do a 25% water change. You could also try some live foods like baby brine or pick up some tigger pods at the dome.  If he starts eating that then mix some frozen in with it when you feed him

Citron Gobies are notoriously finicky eaters and most starve in captivity.  I would do as the others have suggested and see if you can entice him with live brine and medium sized pods.  If he eats those you can gradually add in frozen, flake, or pellet food to wean it over.  Good luck!

Archived