Jen’s Red Sea reefer 350

Jen_McG

Well I’m back after only being gone for literally 3 months. 240 is long gone. Decided to go with something a bit more manageable this time. I’m going to order a Red Sea Reefer 350 through RCA. Only thing I can’t decide on is what powerheads I want to run this time. I’ve done the neptunes, gyres, and mp-40’s. I’m torn whether I want to spend the money on the vortechs or be cheap and go with the gyres again. It’s going to be a mixed reef but I want to get into the sps game one day. Any advise to help me finally make a decision is needed 😜

• Like 1

Got some stuff ordered today through Jake

ordered the Red Sea 350

reef octopus regal 200 skimmer

reef octopus various 2 dc pump

new apex

2 ecotech mp-40s

That should get me started for now. Going to start ordering the dry rock the next couple days and sand. Tank should be here Friday if all goes well! 

• Like 1

So the tank dimensions are 47”x 20”. For lights I plan on using radions. I’m thinking 2 xr-30s (recommend spread is 24x24) should be plenty of coverage but will it be overkill? Or should I do 3 xr-15s? ( recommend spread 18x18) once I put the lights on I don’t want to have to add more or change them. What do y’all think? 

On 3/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, Jen_h said:

I’ve already been warned if I go overboard again that’s it!!!!! 

ordered the Red Sea 350

reef octopus regal 200 skimmer

reef octopus various 2 dc pump

new apex

2 ecotech mp-40s

For lights I plan on using radions. I’m thinking 2 xr-30s

I love it. you are building some peoples dream tanks but your taking it easy and not going overboard.

I cant wait to see what you do past the starter phase

Edited by skot

13 hours ago, Jen_h said:

So the tank dimensions are 47”x 20”. For lights I plan on using radions. I’m thinking 2 xr-30s (recommend spread is 24x24) should be plenty of coverage but will it be overkill? Or should I do 3 xr-15s? ( recommend spread 18x18) once I put the lights on I don’t want to have to add more or change them. What do y’all think? 

I am running 2 xr30 pro gen3 on my 48x24 frag tank.  It's definitely enough light.  I am gonna add a third though because I want more even PAR coverage side-to-side, but then I am an acropora addict.  You can see a recent pic of how that is growing coral in the last page of my build thread

16 hours ago, skot said:

I love it. you are building some peoples dream tanks but your taking it easy and not going overboard.

I cant wait to see what you do past the starter phase

Lol thanks, I went overboard last time and not trying to go that route again 😃

4 hours ago, jolt said:

I am running 2 xr30 pro gen3 on my 48x24 frag tank.  It's definitely enough light.  I am gonna add a third though because I want more even PAR coverage side-to-side, but then I am an acropora addict.  You can see a recent pic of how that is growing coral in the last page of my build thread

You think I should should go with 3 for long term? Eventually one day I would love to have a tank full of acros but that won’t be for a long time. 

26 minutes ago, Jen_h said:

You think I should should go with 3 for long term? Eventually one day I would love to have a tank full of acros but that won’t be for a long time. 

I would not recommend 3 to start.  The gen4 are supposedly stronger than the gen3 that I run.  I would  recommend to structure the aquascape keeping in mind the PAR pattern of the lights though.  So basically a rock structure centered under each fixture will get most PAR at the center.  BRS had some good videos where they measured PAR distribution on the gen4 lights, might be good to google those

1 hour ago, jolt said:

I would not recommend 3 to start.  The gen4 are supposedly stronger than the gen3 that I run.  I would  recommend to structure the aquascape keeping in mind the PAR pattern of the lights though.  So basically a rock structure centered under each fixture will get most PAR at the center.  BRS had some good videos where they measured PAR distribution on the gen4 lights, might be good to google those

Gotcha! Thanks for the info, and by the way I checked out your frag tank my only reaction is 🤤....lol 

• Like 1

My first bit of advice is you have a problem! [emoji12]

Welcome back Jen! [emoji16]

A pair of MP40s would be nice on that tank!
2nd this! Maybe mostly out of jealousy that your tank will be up before mine [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

2nd this! Maybe mostly out of jealousy that your tank will be up before mine [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Bwahahha, Jen got out of the hobby then back in before you got your tank set back up after the move Ryan. [emoji23] That's dirty!

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Bwahahha, Jen got out of the hobby then back in before you got your tank set back up after the move Ryan. emoji23.png That's dirty!

Didn’t even know that was Ryan till now 😂 some friend I am...and ps ty, I need my sump back 😎

• Like 1

Didn’t even know that was Ryan till now [emoji23] some friend I am...and ps ty, I need my sump back [emoji41]
Worst friend ever!

Sump is being used for a critical tank life support job right now. If we remove it, it could crash my towel storing system. [emoji23]9a4ff3c34550c741e0ad87cc89bfc132.jpg

Worst friend ever!

Sump is being used for a critical tank life support job right now. If we remove it, it could crash my towel storing system. [emoji23]9a4ff3c34550c741e0ad87cc89bfc132.jpg

And he’s smiling, so must be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1