C02 scrubber godsend

skot

Just got a C02 scrubber and it a lifesaver.  Ive been struggling trying to keep my PH in order. Using an opposite light cycle in my refug. Was using kalk in my top off. My tank is in my bedroom and its pretty closed off. Due to its placement was unable to run a fresh air line for my skimmer. 

Its been running for almost 24 hours and has not been below 8.0 and very steady.

Pretty sure i've reached its limit; but my daily drops into 7's range always had me nervous. Now all i have to do is put my Neptune ATO in the trash and get a different brand. Then i can save on my Xanax refills :)

C02scrubber.jpg

Just got a C02 scrubber and it a lifesaver.  Ive been struggling trying to keep my PH in order. Using an opposite light cycle in my refug. Was using kalk in my top off. My tank is in my bedroom and its pretty closed off. Due to its placement was unable to run a fresh air line for my skimmer. 
Its been running for almost 24 hours and has not been below 8.0 and very steady.
Pretty sure i've reached its limit; but my daily drops into 7's range always had me nervous. Now all i have to do is put my Neptune ATO in the trash and get a different brand. Then i can save on my Xanax refills [emoji4]
C02scrubber.thumb.jpg.483142d2a74d5cd06f7c92d0b08fa361.jpg

What’s wrong with the Neptune ATO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

make sure the probe is well calibrated before you start making adjustments to your tank water. 

Hmm...I’ve never had any issues with my ATO. I set it and forgot it, no issues from it what so ever.

#ranty The optical sensors get "dirty" often. Its the only thing it uses for readings. film can build on them and make it give false positives. Since the lower sensor is normally at the water line, id always have issues because i ran kalk in my ATO. I stopped running kalk in it and i still gets build up but not as much. The more frustrating thing is module, it is very inconsistent. every other day I get an error and it doesn't work. i come home and my water line is 1 inch before the sensor. my email blows up with alerts for the APEX telling me there is an error. 2 months into owning it i had the top sensor (which is never in the water) short out and always read closed which means the tank is overfilled or flooding. i was able to get a replacement sensor going back and forth with customer support. They want to hop on my network and look at the module but its clearly has issues. i re-calibrated it all the time, do resets and its never stable/reliable. I just don't have time to deal with all of that and its frustrating. 

Here is a glimpse of my alerts from a couple days ago. This is with all good working sensors which points me to the module.

ATOcrap.jpg

i meant the pH probe

LOL. Aaahhh...I was wondering..seemed a bit off topic, I just assumed I missed something. Ya. I had to calibrate my pH probe a couple times till I got comfortable with it.

5 minutes ago, victoly said:

make sure the probe is well calibrated before you start making adjustments to your tank water. 

Ive been checking with a kit as well. The constancy is really a bonus i'm getting from it so far,

I recently installed a CO2 scrubber as well.  I went from 7.9 swinging down to 7.6; I'm now steady at 8.1 during the day and a drop to 8.0 at night.  I had an immediate increase in alk usage as well.

There are many complaints about how fast people go through their media, and a thread on R2R addressed that by advising to connect the air intake of the CO2 scrubber to the skimmer providing it with moist air and greatly extending the life of the media.  I did this from the get-go so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm going on three weeks and I've only used up about 40% so it seems to work.

Love my co2 scrubber as well. I had a disaster with mine at one point. Was running the intake loop on the skimmer cup from my lifereef and it started sucking foam into the scrubber which filled it with water and ended up loading the tank with scrubber media fines. Came home from work to a milk white tank with ph at 9.8 and freaked. Pulled the scrubber, ran a bunch of carbon which I changed daily and did a couple 30% water changes. Ph came back down to 8.1 over a couple days and no deaths. All acros recovered quickly. I have since re installed it and don’t connect the scrubber intake to the skimmer cup anymore. It’s just open. I burn through media faster but it works. Ph hangs out around 8.1-8.3. Without it, I go from 7.7-7.9. Lots of people in the house. Keep the windows and doors shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I running ambient air through mine. We'll see how fast if uses up the media to start. I like to keep things as simple as possible. If i ever get more room and have a drain for the waste in my collection cup, then i might experiment with pulling air from the top of it. 

Archived