Water quality

Christyef

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2018 at 9:18 AM, Christyef said:

. . .  I have a huge frogspawn doing awesome! And have another one doing bad. Lol. I had a pretty big candy cane, but slowly every head has fallen off. Over the course of about 6-8 months I’d say. In the 55, one huge acan, one withering one. Enough to make me go bonkers! I don’t do weekly Water changes anymore. Every 3-4 weeks. And my salinity tends to run a wee bit high at 1.026/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another thought is the tank getting direct sunlight?   A lot of aquarium grown corals do not handle sunlight well.

If it helps for reference, to figure out why you're having problems one of my systems gets a similar maintenance regime.  It's a 90 gallon system gets roughly 15% - 20% water change every 2-3 weeks.  Lighting is a mix of LED bar fixtures and PAR in the middle of the tank is around 200.  Color temp is probably between 12000K and 14000K, blueish but not real blue.  There's no ATO so salinity is adjusted in the new saltwater and salinity fluctuates between 1.024 to 1.028.   Maintenance takes roughly 30 minutes to an maybe an hour and a bit and usually includes 20 - 30 minutes weeding the Xenia,  roughly 15 minutes siphoning and dumping water and roughly 15 minutes filling buckets with tapwater to mix saltwater (depending on how much time is spent weeding it may sit 30-40 minutes before being added to the system).  It just has a large unlit sump, no skimmer or reactors although I will be adding one soon to run GFO to drop PO4 to reef normal levels.  This system overheated about 9 months ago when a visiting family memeber turned off the AC on a warm day and a lot of stuff was lost.  Most of what you see is what survived.  Parameters vary but typically are

Alk ~8 dKH

pH 7.8 - 8.0

Calcium 360-380  PPM

Magnesium 1400 PPM

PO4 2.0 PPM

N03 2.0 PPM

20180308_205244.jpg

Hooked up a TDS meter. In 390. Out 19. Definitely need new filters. The canisters are pretty straight forward, but I’m confused on the DI resin. Videos on BRS say to pack it in tightly so all Water has to pass through some resin and not around. Makes sense. Looking at my filter, it’s not like that at all. It’s a 5-stage kooler max and I cans find a video on their site at all. I’ll see if I can get a pic of what my resin looks like.

e849672572c66f7144cb7c3793cef208.jpg I honestly didn’t notice the resin when I hooked it up. Maybe it was full. Is that how it “depletes”? I’m not even sure if this particular one is color changing. If so, it’s definitely time to change. Lol.

Another thought is the tank getting direct sunlight?   A lot of aquarium grown corals do not handle sunlight well.

If it helps for reference, to figure out why you're having problems one of my systems gets a similar maintenance regime.  It's a 90 gallon system gets roughly 15% - 20% water change every 2-3 weeks.  Lighting is a mix of LED bar fixtures and PAR in the middle of the tank is around 200.  Color temp is probably between 12000K and 14000K, blueish but not real blue.  There's no ATO so salinity is adjusted in the new saltwater and salinity fluctuates between 1.024 to 1.028.   Maintenance takes roughly 30 minutes to an maybe an hour and a bit and usually includes 20 - 30 minutes weeding the Xenia,  roughly 15 minutes siphoning and dumping water and roughly 15 minutes filling buckets with tapwater to mix saltwater (depending on how much time is spent weeding it may sit 30-40 minutes before being added to the system).  It just has a large unlit sump, no skimmer or reactors although I will be adding one soon to run GFO to drop PO4 to reef normal levels.  This system overheated about 9 months ago when a visiting family memeber turned off the AC on a warm day and a lot of stuff was lost.  Most of what you see is what survived.  Parameters vary but typically are
Alk ~8 dKH
pH 7.8 - 8.0
Calcium 360-380  PPM
Magnesium 1400 PPM
PO4 2.0 PPM
N03 2.0 PPM
20180308_205244.thumb.jpg.a08421ca17cafe340bea39baf16a1ed9.jpg

No, sir. No outside light. It does sit in front of a window, but I blacked out the back with black construction paper last year.

Can you show a picture of the whole RODI unit?

3f06ab8fc6f93719767e3beb93ca32d2.jpgWasnt sure if you meant the actual one mounted to the wall. But this is the model I got. If you meant my actual one, I can get that after work.

Yeah, that resin isn't packed tight enough. It should be like an immovable bed in there. Otherwise water can just flow by without interacting with it (hence your 20 ppm TDS). 

I have an unopened bag of BRS resin, but it’s a small one. I don’t think it’s enough to do both containers. Is there one kind that’s better than an other? I do prefer the color changing. That’s a neat feature for people like me that need all the help we can get! [emoji847]

That picture is fine, I could not tell if that was the resin chamber in the first picture, but it obviously is.  I've not seen that design before.  I agree it's gotta be tightly packed, especially with that horizontal design.   

That picture is fine, I could not tell if that was the resin chamber in the first picture, but it obviously is.  I've not seen that design before.  I agree it's gotta be tightly packed, especially with that horizontal design.   

Being new to the whole make my own Water thing, I never even paid attention to that when I hooked it all up. I was so excited to not have to lug jugs around anymore. Having a huge void in the chamber makes perfect sense as to why my water quality isn’t very good. And all the dominoes are beginning to fall into place!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I used to have that type of Di canister... they are ok, not the easiest to change out.  I ended up "upgrading" to the BRS DI "cattridge" type... much easier to change out:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-deionization-canister-1.html

uses inserts like this (above link comes with them):

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-pre-packed-deionization-resin-color-changing.html

I used to have that type of Di canister... they are ok, not the easiest to change out.  I ended up "upgrading" to the BRS DI "cattridge" type... much easier to change out:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dual-deionization-canister-1.html

uses inserts like this (above link comes with them):

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-pre-packed-deionization-resin-color-changing.html

So, I could just bypass the old ones and hook the new ones in they’re spot? How long does one canister last? Kinda pricey. [emoji51]

Did a PO4 today. 35 gal .41.
55 gal 1.22. The 55 has come down some and the 35 has gone up some. Not too worried about the 35. It’s not zero, but the tank and all inhabitants are doing good. The 55 actually looks pretty good too. I turned down my white lights so algae doesn’t grow as quickly on the glass.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Christyef said:

686b5c687649d90de0eb4a6f65710dcc.jpgbbb3c3b8819b51a48495e825e1319ca5.jpgThe straw is holding up my basket. I cut off some purple shrooms for someone Lol

Beautiful tanks you have there Christy, everything looks big and happy. Those anemone are HUGE!

Beautiful tanks you have there Christy, everything looks big and happy. Those anemone are HUGE!

Thank you! I really need to thin them out, but they’re so dang hard to remove. Lol

015880fab72a3529b089901a27a1c247.jpgI did it!!!!! It’s not zero, but pretty dang close. I packed the resin tight in my resin chambers, ran about a gallon of water through before I hooked it up, and got 1 TDS! WOOHOO!!!! Yay! Lol

015880fab72a3529b089901a27a1c247.jpgI did it!!!!! It’s not zero, but pretty dang close. I packed the resin tight in my resin chambers, ran about a gallon of water through before I hooked it up, and got 1 TDS! WOOHOO!!!! Yay! Lol

Nice!

Archived