Reef fleas?

skot

For a lack of a better word i think i have fleas in my tank lol. Im trying to ID these things but they are so small its hard to capture them with my cell phone. Ill try again later when i get a card reader for my DSLR

They are black, very small and round like fleas you'd find on a cat or dog. They don't look like normal "pods" since those are normally translucent and longer oval shaped. I noticed them after a recent Zoa introduction. i did a freshwater dip a ton of regular pods washed off but didn't see any of these black things. They dont seem to move that much,more just sit in my sand. ive seen them move occasionally but its a very quick like walk across the same grain of sand and stop. 

BTW you can move this to the "What is this thing" section. didn't see that before.

reefbugs.jpg

Moved for you.  I can't really tell from the picture.  I've seen dark pods before and I think as long as they are not bothering your coral its no big deal.  But others may have had more experience with them,

Definitely need a closer picture.  I once, and only once, had an explosion of tiny, tiny crabs in a system that disappeared after about 2 months.  They were about .5 mm at most and just looked like small blackish gray spots until I looked at them with a jeweler's loupe where their claws were clearly visible.  If they are all over the sand and not concentrating around your corals like Jolt cautioned I'd say they are just scavengers, preditors of a  smaller "bug" or a larval stage of something that most likely will not survive in your system and most likely will disappear in a few weeks.

Archived