10G beginner tank

Saltyshay

This is my first attempt at saltwater. I'm currently living in an apartment so size of tank is extreamly limited especially being on the 3rd floor. I plan on getting a pistol shrimp and watchmen goby pair and really just getting comfortable testing saltwater parameters and making necassary adjustments. I have a ten gallon tank with a decent sized live rock and live sand for filtration. I also added a hang on back aqua  clear 30 for extra filtration and some flow. So here starts what I hope leads to a major upgrade once my living situation allows for a proper set up 

IMG_2846.JPG

I do plan on some hardy corals but I am unsure if my current light will put off enough PAR. I will be going to the meet up this weekend so if anyone has a hardy frag I may give it a try. My light was giving off about 30 PAR in a 20G tall freshwater and could sustain plants not sure how that will transfer to a 10G saltwater.

7 hours ago, Saltyshay said:

Update: found an affordable light that I'm comfortable keeping corals with have seen some reviews and I'm confident it will maintain and grow some hardy corals will be coming in tomorrow so hopefully I will be adding some coral very soon. 

Sweet. What did you get?

The light came in I didn't like how the bracket mounted to the back or where it placed the light so I removed the bracket and placed it on my eggcrate DIY lid and I'm satisfied with the result considering the price. Still have to adjust the light settings it has options for more blues or more white. 

IMG_2849.JPG

Think I have over researched the pistol shrimp/yellow watchmen pair and I've scared my self into believing the piston shrimp could kill my clownfish. 🤔 Anyone have any experience with pistol shrimp and having other fish besides the yellow watchmen with it 

I have three in my tank - one planned; two hitchhikers.  The fear of a pistol killing fish and everything else in your tank is IMO extremely overrated.   It's not going to kill your clown.  On its own without a goby, it may take out an occasional crab.  Paired with a goby, it's going to go about its life never straying from his little goby friend, happily digging tunnels and eating his poop. Easily the most entertaining and personable critters in the tank.

jlHBoL1m.jpg?1

Thanks for the reassurance I'll most likely get the pair here in a couple weekends don't want to move to quickly and have the tank crash 
Way to stay patient! Your tank will thank you with less chances of an algae bloom!

Your tank looks like its off to a good start. Welcome to the wonderful world of saltwater. I just joined about a year ago myself.

I've had both tiger and candy stripe pistol shrimp. The tigers get a bit bigger than the candy stripe.

I would vote for the candy stripe pistol as they stay smaller than tigers. Unless you want to deal with having to come home every day and reclaim your corals that the pistol either stole to reinforce its home, or because it thought it could do a better job at placement compared to where you originally put it. The tiger I had became a big headache for me after a while of having to deal with it stealing my frags from the sand bed. However anything light enough for a pistol shrimp to move WILL be moved at some point haha.

Regardless of that the pistol shrimp/goby pair is one of the coolest symbiotic relationships to watch IMO.

My clownfish has started to settle in and eat pellets and small bits of mysis shrimp. Today I added a few critters to help clean up some of the food that sinks to the bottom 2 blue legged hermit crabs and 1 nassarus snail. The snail immediately buried itself and left its feeler sticking up out of the sand. Pretty cool. I also added another piece of hard scape and toadstool leather in hoping my clownfish will hand around. 

IMG_2861.JPG

Well all of my updates so far have been positive so here's my first very minor or so I'm hoping setback. I've noticed a small amount of algea or biofilm on the front glass interesting enough it's the only one so far I tried using a tooth brush to get rid of it but that didn't work well so I will be ordering a glass scrubbing magnet today. Also I've noticed some odd stringy idk what that's on the stem of my candy cane coral frags that I'm not sure if I should pull off or what any help is much appreciated. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would say that looks like bryopsis on the candy cane.  You can google it to see ways people deal with it.  I used flucanazole to get rid of it myself.  Other people use manual removal, and peroxide.  Not too many clean up crew eat it.

Archived