90g Stand overhaul with hood.

Vernon Saunders

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH don't worry my OCD will make me do it... however today I had to pull the carpet and lay down new flooring in the kids room so that was my all day project today. I will probably get to it this weekend so the doors where kind of a rush thing to keep the kids out. I will honestly probably hide the edges behind trim to make my life easy. I did get to fully hook up the system... and I need to get a booster pump because the water pressure is apparently only able to put out 20-25 psi... anyone know of a place to get one besides BRS?

Air Water and Ice is a sponsor.  With your premium membership, there is a 10% discount if you use the club code.  The code is in the first post in their sponsor forum here on ARC.  Their pricing is comparable to BRS.

There is one on saltwateraquarium.com for quite a bit less but it didn't exactly have 5-star reviews:  https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/puratek-100-gpd-rodi-booster-pump-w-power-supply-vertex-aquaristik/

I'm lucky in that my pressure is around 65-70 psi.  20-25psi is really low.  Do you have a pressure regulator at your water main?  You may want to check it.  You can also get a fairly cheap pressure gauge from Home Depot and test your water pressure at a hose bib or washing machine supply and check the house. 

Air Water and Ice is a sponsor.  With your premium membership, there is a 10% discount if you use the club code.  The code is in the first post in their sponsor forum here on ARC.  Their pricing is comparable to BRS.
There is one on saltwateraquarium.com for quite a bit less but it didn't exactly have 5-star reviews:  https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/puratek-100-gpd-rodi-booster-pump-w-power-supply-vertex-aquaristik/
I'm lucky in that my pressure is around 65-70 psi.  20-25psi is really low.  Do you have a pressure regulator at your water main?  You may want to check it.  You can also get a fairly cheap pressure gauge from Home Depot and test your water pressure at a hose bib or washing machine supply and check the house. 

I have a couple of the aquatec 8800 booster pumps laying around they are brand new. Also have the pressure switches for them too. All yours if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to thank [mention=4121]Cdklos[/mention] again for letting me purchase a pump off him. I got it hooked up and running and the RODI system is alive and kicking.

My pleasure man! Sounds like it worked out perfectly for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does... I had to rig up a reducing coupler from the 3/8 on the pump to the 1/4 on the rest system since the hardware store didn't have any but once I got that done it worked perfectly and I got it all dialed in for the right pressure for both the pump and the switch.

Me not being the resourceful/frugal person I am... I made an ATO container out of a 5gal square jug. I had to cut access to put a pump in and also to clean it occasionally. Works fantastically with no syphoning when pump is turned off. All I need to do now is get an ATO device to complete the setup. 

KIMG0475.jpg

Me not being the resourceful/frugal person I am... I made an ATO container out of a 5gal square jug. I had to cut access to put a pump in and also to clean it occasionally. Works fantastically with no syphoning when pump is turned off. All I need to do now is get an ATO device to complete the setup. 
KIMG0475.thumb.jpg.ec6768271f3e220f07a6301f7d3fa67c.jpg
You and Gig'em would get along. That's his top off container too.

Hey, It works perfectly well. Just needed some modifications so I could use the pump I had instead of buying a new one. I may not get an entire full 5 gal (probably like 4.5) but it works. Along with getting a JBJ ATO system (will have one in the sump and one in the ATO container so it doesn't run dry) I was thinking of getting a float to have an additional back up to shut off water to the container. I have the RODI going to the container as it is but I have 2 ball valves (one at the container and one near the DI canister) as a redundant safeties.

Hey, It works perfectly well. Just needed some modifications so I could use the pump I had instead of buying a new one. I may not get an entire full 5 gal (probably like 4.5) but it works. Along with getting a JBJ ATO system (will have one in the sump and one in the ATO container so it doesn't run dry) I was thinking of getting a float to have an additional back up to shut off water to the container. I have the RODI going to the container as it is but I have 2 ball valves (one at the container and one near the DI canister) as a redundant safeties.
I'm not knocking it. I have a Charcoal Saver plastic sealable container as my Skimmate container.

Lol this is true... I have seen it. My skimmate collector is an apple juice container. I am excited cause here later this week or in the next few weeks I will be finishing the stands overhaul and will be posting things as they get done.

Ok so I did some work today. I got the JBJ ATO system and got it all rigged up so now I can be lazy with my ATO (YAY!!!!!). I also picked up a small Maxima clam, a ORA Green tip Pink Birdsnest, a Long nose Hawkfish and a chocolate chip starfish (for my sump only to help keep it clean). I also worked on the RODI cabinet and finished it up to make it look better (to help both @Sierra Bravo and my OCD). 

KIMG0481.jpg

KIMG0477.jpg

KIMG0478.jpg

Thank you, I REALLY liked it at the store so sure enough the birdsnest made its way into my purchases for the day, lets face it we know how it went down. Sorry to keep you up at night... I will admit I made a stupid mistake on the first batch of trim pieces. Got into a groove cutting pieces and them somehow I cut the wrong side of the line and cut 3 pieces about 1/2" too short.... I was hating myself all the way to the store to get more trim. 

I am apparently adding a Neptune Apex classic controller to the list of things to add to the tank, someone on R2R was selling one and after some begging to the wife (in reality I convinced her by buying her something) and will be here sometime next week since the guy is going to get it in the mail tomorrow/Friday. I have a friend coming over sometime this weekend and we will be constructing the aluminum frame for the hood at that point.

Ok so I learned something today.... when dealing with Aluminum... ambient temp matters. Turns out it was too cold when I was trying to work on the frame and the cold weather kept the metal from heating up enough to use the method we are using. I guess I will have to try again tomorrow, or a warmer day.

Ok so here is the current progress for the frame for hanging the light. I got all 4 sides done for round one, still need to flip it over and do the other side. The white things are tiles that I lay over the corner I finished working on to slow the cooling to keep the joints from cracking. 

Will post more pictures as I get more done today.

DSCI0129.JPG

DSCI0130.JPG

Ok so I got done with the other side. Here are some pictures from the flip side. I started using the heat gun to help slow down the cooling process an also to heat up the metal since it is starting to cool down, believe it or not is helps immensely. The bricks are shielding the work area from as much wind as I can manage.

DSCI0131.JPG

DSCI0132.JPG

Ok I managed to get the brace/hanging bars first round of joining together. Got to cold to continue as the colder metal was sucking the heat away from the work area. I will do round two tomorrow and maybe finish the entire frame. You can see the effort so far. @Sierra Bravo yes I know those bars are not evenly dividing the frame into 3rds, they are located where they are to make the light hang straight instead of having the lines be at an angle.

DSCI0133.JPG

Lol I just figured you would comment about the bars not being evenly spaced to divide the whole thing into thirds. I was actually surprised how simple the process is... don't get me wrong it is easy to mess up (there was a huge learning curve on this and messed up my practice pieces a lot) but once I got it figured out. I have been able to work rather swiftly.

Ok, as proof that I still mess things up if I'm not careful... I heated a leg up too much and melted it in half. I then cut a new leg and proceeded to work on the project overnight (cause I was having another sleepless night) and there are those pictures. The only thing left to do on the frame itself is to put in the vertical bracing bars that are going to go on halfway down the front and back of the frame to help reduce any stress in the middle of the frame. I will post those once they get done.

DSCI0135.JPG

DSCI0139.JPG

DSCI0142.JPG

Archived