90g Stand overhaul with hood.

Vernon Saunders

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question. Home depot pipe? Did the joint come apart or did the pipe crack? Reason I ask . I have 3 joints that are leaking after a few days running the pumps. Not much,  1oz in 24 hours.  I prep the pipe with cleaner and make sure I apply glue to both pieces. I have never had this issue in the past. I have notice the home depot pipe is no longer shiny like it was years ago. Wonder if the pipe is the issue.

It was a joint where the previous owner had glued flex pipe to a coupler. My guess is the glue wasn't meant to actually hold there and it finally gave out. When I fixed it (more like redid) the plumbing I made it so the flex pipe is now secured in place by barb connects. I don't have a picture of how it was done before (cause at the time I was more in "gotta fix this" mode more than "take picture" mode) but if you can picture it the guy had flex pipe joined together in the middle with a ball valve and a small piece (maybe 2 inches) of 3/4 pvc pipe and a coupler attached to the ends of those pipes, the flex pipe was glued into the coupler. In truth I knew I needed to redo his plumbing set up, cause I didn't trust it, but I kept putting it off and it bit me in the butt a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I am opening up a question regarding help deciding between dimmable and non-dimmable T5s for my upgraded lights for my tank. The price between the dimmable and non-dimmable ballasts is $8. I know the dimmable T5s would need a controller, but I don't currently have one so it would be a on/off thing until I decide on which controller I want to use (I'm holding out until the V2 of the Vertex Cerebra comes out). I have heard about some issues with dimmable T5 setups, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. 

13 hours ago, Vernon Saunders said:

Ok so I am opening up a question regarding help deciding between dimmable and non-dimmable T5s for my upgraded lights for my tank. The price between the dimmable and non-dimmable ballasts is $8. I know the dimmable T5s would need a controller, but I don't currently have one so it would be a on/off thing until I decide on which controller I want to use (I'm holding out until the V2 of the Vertex Cerebra comes out). I have heard about some issues with dimmable T5 setups, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. 

I have dimmable T5s and I ended up doing away with it. I use my Kessil A360s to dim up and down, once they get to the selected intensity the T5s come on at full intensity. They run for about 5 hours a day. I decided not to run the T5s as dimmable because from what I understand it will cut down on the life cycle of the bulbs tremendously. Haven't tested this theory, but when bulbs cost as much as they do, I want to get a good life from them, and the Kessils do the trick. Most of the LEDs offer a ramping option. For your tank, I would almost go with the AP700 and be done with it though!

I know BRS did a test on the bulb life span thing and found that the dimmable option doesn't decrease life span, but it may actually prolong the span of the bulb. I'll link it here: T5 Bulb lifespan BRS

I have the Maxspect Razor picked out as my LED fixture and I know it will give me enough light for anything I want to grow but I have been doing research into the LED/T5 hybrid lighting compared to the  MH/T5 lighting standard and from what I have found on forums and other sources, the LED/T5 combo can give similar results. Granted I only planned on using 2 T5s (1 Actinic and 1 20k) in conjunction with the Razor.

@CdklosDid you have any issues with the ballast getting fried? I heard that could be an issue.

I know BRS did a test on the bulb life span thing and found that the dimmable option doesn't decrease life span, but it may actually prolong the span of the bulb. I'll link it here: [mention=4121]Cdklos[/mention]Did you have any issues with the ballast getting fried? I heard that could be an issue.

No, they worked perfectly, I bought the kit from BRS with the dimmable option and wired it to my APEX, it dimmed perfectly. I didn’t see the BRS video. While it increased the life span did the PAR level decrease over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The video is relatively new. The dimmed T5s actually saw less of a PAR reduction over their simulated year than the non-dimmed T5s. So instead of swapping out the bulbs every 12 months like usual you could (according to what they found) probably swap the bulbs every 16-18 months instead and get similar PAR values to the non-dimmed T5s at the time of swap. I recommend the video cause there is a lot of information in it and you would be able to see the numbers they got.

The video is relatively new. The dimmed T5s actually saw less of a PAR reduction over their simulated year than the non-dimmed T5s. So instead of swapping out the bulbs every 12 months like usual you could (according to what they found) probably swap the bulbs every 16-18 months instead and get similar PAR values to the non-dimmed T5s at the time of swap. I recommend the video cause there is a lot of information in it and you would be able to see the numbers they got.

Nice! I will check it out for sure. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it seems like I wont be adding T5s into the lighting system after all.  When I started to try to figure out how I would replace the bulbs once in the hood I quickly realized the front bulb would be easy but the back bulb would probably require me to get over the hood to change the bulb the easiest way (sad but true). So I decided to nix the T5s and just go with a LED light only. 

Well it seems like I wont be adding T5s into the lighting system after all.  When I started to try to figure out how I would replace the bulbs once in the hood I quickly realized the front bulb would be easy but the back bulb would probably require me to get over the hood to change the bulb the easiest way (sad but true). So I decided to nix the T5s and just go with a LED light only. 
@Gig'em did a cabinet roller type system for his lights, so that he can slide the lights out for access to change bulbs. Can you do something like that with your canopy?

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:
13 hours ago, Vernon Saunders said:

@Gig'em did a cabinet roller type system for his lights, so that he can slide the lights out for access to change bulbs. Can you do something like that with your canopy?

I hadn't thought about that... I don't suppose he posted it in a build thread for me to check out and see if I could use it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have started getting the materials for the build. I got the flooring panels (to become the sides) and have ordered the frame materials for the hood. I do have the materials for testing the method to join the Al frame together. I will be posting the results of the tests with pictures as I get them done. 

Alright I got 2 tests done and here are the before and after pictures. I had a video of my working on the square tubing but the torch is loud so I'm not going to add it. The metal is 1/16th inch thick aluminum on both, the angle bar is 3/4" wide and the tubing is also 3/4". I am VERY impressed with the product to say the least, I will admit I was hesitant about its claims to be weld strength but figured if it was half that strong then it would still be strong enough for the frame for the hood. You can see I mangled the angle bar and was unable to break the joint, as for the tubing I bent it and gouged the surface with the pliers but was unable to break the joint. 

DSCI0112.JPG

DSCI0116.JPG

DSCI0118.JPG

DSCI0121.JPG

DSCI0120.JPG

Ok so had a hiccup today... Around noon my return pump (never replaced it from last owner so I have no idea how old it was) croaked. So I pulled my reactor pump off and used it as an emergency return pump then packed the kids up and headed to Aquadome to get a new pump. I got my new DC controllable 1900 GPH return pump and picked up a Stocky Pink Anthia as well then headed home. I got everything hooked up now and the reactor pump back where it belongs. I am running the new pump around 80% (doing the math from the flow chart) and I think it is about 800-900 GPH actual flow rate. 

On the good news side of things... My new lights will be delivered tomorrow along with other goodies I ordered from BRS. I will do an unboxing of things when I get it.

Well looks like I had another sleepless night so I decided to make a cabinet for an RODI system. I swear I get super productive late at night when I can't sleep. It isn't finished yet but so far I have it 90% assembled and stained. I am thinking of going with a clear semi-gloss for the finishing touches and will probably do that in about an hour if I'm still awake or let the stain dry overnight and do it in the morning. I have included the pictures of what I have done up till now and will post final pictures later. I know the stain looks darker on the cabinet than the doors but that is just the light and the fact the picture was taken at 2 in the morning.

DSCI0124.JPG

DSCI0126.JPG

Well looks like I had another sleepless night so I decided to make a cabinet for an RODI system. I swear I get super productive late at night when I can't sleep. It isn't finished yet but so far I have it 90% assembled and stained. I am thinking of going with a clear semi-gloss for the finishing touches and will probably do that in about an hour if I'm still awake or let the stain dry overnight and do it in the morning. I have included the pictures of what I have done up till now and will post final pictures later. I know the stain looks darker on the cabinet than the doors but that is just the light and the fact the picture was taken at 2 in the morning.

DSCI0124.thumb.JPG.58d97e9d82e0b9d22e60d9d88e6c6a54.JPG
DSCI0126.thumb.JPG.4f940a0cd4b8944637a55e9f206ee6c8.JPG

Looks great.

I have a pair of T5 fixtures from Hamilton Lighting. They are the 47” V shaped T5 units. Very slim and low profile. I bought them for $150 and would let them go for $100 each. I can send you a pic if you are interested.

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=83

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, olaggie01 said:

Looks great.

I have a pair of T5 fixtures from Hamilton Lighting. They are the 47” V shaped T5 units. Very slim and low profile. I bought them for $150 and would let them go for $100 each. I can send you a pic if you are interested.

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_82_84&product_id=83

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate that however I decided to go with LED only due to the pain of getting to the rear lights. I did think about a sliding shelf for them but when I ran a test run for weight it wanted to tip no matter what I did to try to stabilize it. 

Archived