90g Stand overhaul with hood.

Vernon Saunders

So this will be the first build thread I will have ever done, so please bear with me. I bought the tank and stand used and have never really liked the color scheme (see picture) from the previous owner. So I have decided (with approval from the wife) to overhaul the look of the stand and add a hood. This will be taking place after we get our tax refund, so it is still a little ways off. I would like to put a feeler out there to see if I can enlist the aid of 1-2 people who could come lend a hand once I get the materials together. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 1 day and I will have pizza and beverages for all who can come. I also would like to see if anyone has a table saw I could borrow for the day of the project.

KIMG0464 (1).jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I'm of no help to you...as I'm t-minus any day now from welcoming my 3rd daughter to the world....so my free time is going down the drain any day now lol.

But I'm tagging along to watch the progress...as I have a 90g that is just bone 2x4s currently...and I'm still not sure how I want to finish the stand. Best of luck!

I the process of overhauling the tank I am going to be over hauling the lighting. I was thinking of doing a LED/T5 hybrid set up. LED for the nice coloration and pop that that type can give, and T5 for the growth and diffused lighting. The LED fixture I was looking at is a Maxspect 200w RSX  LED light and the T5 is a retrofit option T5 light that would have ATI Coral+ and True Actinic bulbs or Giesemann Actinic Blue and Aquablue Coral bulbs (haven't decided yet). I would like to know what y'all think of the set up and if you think I should run dimmable T5s as well. I know that the T5 lights I selected are 36in and not 48in, this was done intentionally. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

I think a lot of people like the LED T5 combo, but I don't recall seeing anyone do it with that maxspect.  The hardest thing with LEDs is getting them adjusted. So when I was looking at LEDs I looked to see if I could find a lot of folks reporting success with a given brand who would also publish their settings.  I have no idea on that maxspect if you can find that kind of info, haven't looked.

I have to agree with Jolt.  I have Maxspect Ethereal LED's on mine.  They had been newly released at the time I had purchased them.  Great lights, well designed, and high quality. . . but they haven't caught on with many people and there is next to zero information on how people have set them up and found success.  So almost a year later I'm still fumbling around trying to find what I think is the best and changing settings, and changing LED settings can be a slow and lengthy process to avoid damaging your coral.

That being said, that doesn't mean the new Razor's you are considering aren't the best LED out there today - they may very well be.   However, there is a huge advantage in using established lighting because you will have lots of data to use to start with and a proven track record. 

I know of one tank in Austin that runs the Razor. The tank grows anemones pretty well, but I'm not sure on the success with other corals. The owner has pretty high nutrients in the tank so he doesn't keep stony corals like Acropora since they tend to die. But he has success with mushrooms and LPS with the Razor.

From what I found in my digging was that the razor rsx is similar to the original razor, they just redesigned it based on submissions from users of the original light. The main hiccup I saw for finding settings was that they divided the original 2 channels into 4, they did put presets into the rsx (what they recommend for various systems like sps dom, mixed, and softie tanks). I was thinking of using the mixed preset as a baseline then tweaking from there. The tweaking I was going to base off of was I found a light that also has 4 channels with very similar spectrum per channel (they aren't a perfect match but they are close enough I think it would be ok), I have talked to people who have had success with sps tanks. I do realize there is still a bit of trial and error there. 

I know I might be kicking myself in the teeth with my next question but.... with having an area of 18.5" to hang a LED and the 2 T5s, do y'all have a light to replace the maxspect that has more time in the hobby? 

I'm not saying the razor is bad, I simply don't know anything about it.  If you want to consider alternatives, you might also look at the ATI powermodule hybrid.  The 48" 4x54watt T5 measures 46.2" L x 12" W x 2.4" H.  I believe @Juicemanis using that one?

I'm not saying the razor is bad, I simply don't know anything about it.  If you want to consider alternatives, you might also look at the ATI powermodule hybrid.  The 48" 4x54watt T5 measures 46.2" L x 12" W x 2.4" H.  I believe [mention=1783]Juiceman[/mention]is using that one?

I have the 3 foot but yes, I have the ATI Hybrid. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gig'em and I have used the Ocean Revive fixture, T247, in our reef tanks that are SPS dominant.

He currently runs one on the left half of his system with T5 supplements and I used to run it entirely over my old tank with T5 supplements. Great success and would highly recommend for the price. Its not fancy, on/off, white channel and blue channels, but results speak for themselves. To be clear, we modified our units and changed out some diodes to tweak color but the stock ones rocked it even before that.

My old tank under ORs:

Video I made of gig'ems tank a couple months back (looks way better in person:

I currently have the ORs over my frag tank that you'll get to see in person this Saturday.

I know you weren't Jolt. I was more curious when I posted the question because since I am still new to SPS reefing and reefing in general, I was wanting to see what recommendations y'all might have for me in regards to lighting. I will check out the lights y'all have recommended. Ty I was looking for a sort of plug and play situation since I have 0 experience with modifying electronics. I am ok with tweaking the intensity of various channels to create a desired effect (growth/coloration) cause that is currently within my knowledge/skills but I'm not opposed to learning new skills.

I know you weren't Jolt. I was more curious when I posted the question because since I am still new to SPS reefing and reefing in general, I was wanting to see what recommendations y'all might have for me in regards to lighting. I will check out the lights y'all have recommended. Ty I was looking for a sort of plug and play situation since I have 0 experience with modifying electronics. I am ok with tweaking the intensity of various channels to create a desired effect (growth/coloration) cause that is currently within my knowledge/skills but I'm not opposed to learning new skills.
Like I mentioned, they were stellar unmodified too. We're just geeks who like to tweak so we did that. Here's a video of my tank prior to the mods, lights completely stock.

Ok so up date on the build thread. I ran a test on an adhesive to help hold things together (there will be a few screws too) and it holds REALLY well once properly done. I did make a mistake the first test I ran and considered it void and tried again and it worked wonderfully. I was also advised by Sierra Bravo and Frank that I should look into construction flooring adhesive and that will be my next test to see if it holds any better. I did decide to increase the woods water resistance by impregnating it with some Marine grade resin I had laying around from my sailboat repairs. 

Ok so in the process of organizing the cords and stuff in the stand.... the return plumbing cracked and broke spraying water everywhere. I called my wife over as I am currently using both of my hands to keep both ends of the broken plumbing in the sump to reduce the amount of water lost and of short circuiting anything (including myself). I had her kill the power to the return pump and angle the loc-line out of the water to break the syphon. Once I had cleaned up the water on the floor, it was off to Home Depot to get the replacement plumbing. So now the new plumbing is in place, the floor is dry, and the stuff in my stand is now mostly organized.

KIMG0456.JPG

I got the actual loc-line so I could affix the Random Flow Generators from VCA and they are in the tank and running. I had started this install in another thread but decided to combine them.
RFG.thumb.jpg.537dd40ff6a7ee345e6bf57b066cf892.jpg
How do you like them. I ordered the 1" versions awhile ago but still haven't gotten a chance to install them.

Just got them installed today... I have noticed that the flow coming out of them does leave at different angels (like the company said they should) which is nice. I think I need to get a more powerful return pump... mine is currently on the lower end of flow out of the sump so I don't think I am getting all I can out of them since from what got from talking to someone at the VCA that they do perform better at 650-750 GPH (atleast for my 3/4 in ones).

Just got them installed today... I have noticed that the flow coming out of them does leave at different angels (like the company said they should) which is nice. I think I need to get a more powerful return pump... mine is currently on the lower end of flow out of the sump so I don't think I am getting all I can out of them since from what got from talking to someone at the VCA that they do perform better at 650-750 GPH (atleast for my 3/4 in ones).
Nice! I better get my butt in gear and install them then! Thanks Vernon!

Archived