New SPS lover

Merman

Hey Austin Reef Club!  My name is Ryan and I've had a reef tank for almost 10 years.  I started with fish, moved to soft corals and then went straight to SPS.  After about 7 years of mistakes, research, and occasional burn out I finally figured out how to make them grow and now I'm obsessed.

I started a new build in March 2017 and managed to get the old tank transferred over in June 2017.  After about 6 months I hit an issue that sent me scrambling to the forums.  During my research I found myself frequently coming to this site and was impressed at how respectful, positive and knowledgable everyone is.  Wish I had discovered this community before I started the build.  I have spent hours reading all the build threads and you all have some amazing tanks.  Even better that you're in my city, I live in South Austin.

Hoping to contribute in anyway I can.  Also, I've always wanted to swap frags with some local reefers.  Here's some low quality iPhone pics of my little 150 gallon tank.

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2564.JPG

Awesome! Another stickhead! We'll forgive you that you're way down south as all the cool stickheads are up north... Cough Jolt... Cough cough. [emoji12]

Great looking system. You're going to have go do an "already built" thread and catch us up on your setup.

Oh, and next Saturday is the quarterly meeting at my place if you want to meet some fellow reefers. Its in the cold, white north but I guarantee it'll be worth it if you like acros.

From one fellow stickhead to another...welcome to ARC. I'm really south...like Kyle. If u are ever driving through let me know.
The drive to north San Antonio to Roy's is worth it. It took me 3 years to finally realize that.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:47 PM, jolt said:

Well alright - a new south austin person with an awesome setup - and an SPS lover too!!!!!!

Sometimes I feel like the only southside stickhead :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club Ryan

Thanks!  Read through your build thread last week.  That frag tank is so cool!  Can't wait to see how your DT progresses.

20 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Awesome! Another stickhead! We'll forgive you that you're way down south as all the cool stickheads are up north... Cough Jolt... Cough cough. emoji12.png

Great looking system. You're going to have go do an "already built" thread and catch us up on your setup.

Oh, and next Saturday is the quarterly meeting at my place if you want to meet some fellow reefers. Its in the cold, white north but I guarantee it'll be worth it if you like acros.

I will absolutely do a "mostly built, lots of room for improvement" thread.  Didn't do a great job of documenting with photos but we'll see how it goes.  Stay tuned!

My family has graciously agreed to let me make the trip to South Dallas for the quarterly meeting.  I'll be there!

3 hours ago, Roy V said:

From one fellow stickhead to another...welcome to ARC. I'm really south...like Kyle. If u are ever driving through let me know.

Thanks I will!  Likewise, if you're ever near downtown Austin I'm just south of the lake.  

I will absolutely do a "mostly built, lots of room for improvement" thread.  Didn't do a great job of documenting with photos but we'll see how it goes.  Stay tuned!
My family has graciously agreed to let me make the trip to South Dallas for the quarterly meeting.  I'll be there!
Awesome! You'll be well received in the north with that sense of humor!

19 hours ago, Merman said:

My family has graciously agreed to let me make the trip to South Dallas for the quarterly meeting.  

I guess that places me about Waco. Not really where I thought I'd end up! Looks like a great build. Welcome to the club!

Archived