Pagoda cup doing wierd things. Is something going wrong?

Vernon Saunders

Not sure what's going on. Did all my tests and everything is good but I am still getting some corals doing weird things like the pagoda cup and the SPS sticks I got are not letting their polyps out. I am hoping that someone with a lot more experience can help me figure out what is going on and hopefully fix it.

KIMG0475.jpg

If parameters have been stable then I think it might be some kind of contamination.  For example,  I've had corals get mad when I need to change my RODI resin.  By any chance did you do a water change right before this started?

Negative. Though I did start an ich treatment for the tank since two have shown early signs of it, however the pagoda has been through a few of these and never shown signs of not being happy about it before.
Can you go into detail the ich treatment you used? I've never heard of a reef safe ich treatment.

The treatment is 1ml for every 5 gallons of water for fish only tanks and .5ml for every 5 gallons for reef/invertebrate tanks. For reef tanks you do this treatment 2 times a day, 12 hours apart then let the tank be for 24 hours. You do this a total of 3 times. Oh and you stop any carbon used (reactor or a bag) during treatment. Skimmer can still be used, however I usually turn it off as it likes to overflow during treatment.

KIMG0476.jpg

The treatment is 1ml for every 5 gallons of water for fish only tanks and .5ml for every 5 gallons for reef/invertebrate tanks. For reef tanks you do this treatment 2 times a day, 12 hours apart then let the tank be for 24 hours. You do this a total of 3 times. Oh and you stop any carbon used (reactor or a bag) during treatment. Skimmer can still be used, however I usually turn it off as it likes to overflow during treatment.
KIMG0476.thumb.jpg.56207bd2271b1dc745a605662a1a5806.jpg
I have my suspicions this is your issue though I'm not familiar with the product itself. Any thought to discontinue the use of it, do some water changes, and run some activated carbon and see if that mitigates the issue?

I have used it (it has been my usual method for ich) and the pagoda has been through it 4 times before with no ill effects before, my concern is that I don't have any QT tank for ich treatment (place I'm in is doesn't have a lot of spare space). But I guess its all I can do, The Sps got their polyps out about 10 min ago so I guess they are back to their cheery selves so that is good. Only coral that seams affected any more is the pagoda. I guess while I'm at it, Since I don't have the space available for QT, any recommendations for treating for ich?

I have used it (it has been my usual method for ich) and the pagoda has been through it 4 times before with no ill effects before, my concern is that I don't have any QT tank for ich treatment (place I'm in is doesn't have a lot of spare space). But I guess its all I can do, The Sps got their polyps out about 10 min ago so I guess they are back to their cheery selves so that is good. Only coral that seams affected any more is the pagoda. I guess while I'm at it, Since I don't have the space available for QT, any recommendations for treating for ich?
Sorry Vernon, I know of no method of ich eradication without removal of the fish from the display and being treated in a separate tank. Certain strategies such as keeping your fish population lower, less stressed, fed well, and using a properly setup UV can lower populations and reduce outbreaks but it'll remain in the system. There are those that theorize continued use of UV can eventually rid the system of ich entirely but nothing has been proven.

I know there are no ways to get a ich free tank... I was more asking how I should treat the 2 fish that are currently showing ich signs to aid in their recovery since it might be my usual method could be causing the pagoda trouble this time.
What fish are you having trouble with? Have any pics?

Some fish like Achilles tangs and powder blue tangs have no resistence to it while others like clowns are highly resistant.

One is a black and white dwarf angel, other is a clown tang. Angel is more heavily infected while the tang has only a few spots.
Got any pictures Vernon? And how often does the ich come up? How long have you had the fish?

I have had these two for about 2 1/2 weeks (give or take a few days). As for Ich break outs... I had one 2 months ago but it was when I added a clownfish and only that clown got it and was gone in 3 days, so I didn't treat for ich. I don't usually treat for ich if it was on a recently added fish, I watch it to make sure it is eating and monitor the progression since I give the fish a Curamine dip before adding into the system to kill any new bugs. I haven't had any thing since the clownfish till now. I did start up my carbon to remove the meds and did a 25% water change. As for pictures... my camera on my phone not the greatest + fish not cooperating = even my best pics are too blurry to see anything.

A QT is the best way to prevent ick from getting into a DT but a UV, properly installed, can be effective in dealing with ick.  Do a search with the screen/user name "Hydro" and the term "UV Sterilizer" to find some good discussions on it use.   The polyp retaction is expected according to Fritz (you might contact them to see if  if htey have any advise on repeated treatments).  (Corals are proactively manipulating the microbial processes in their mucus coating and in the water around them and the Neem oil used has bacterial static properties and for that reason alone I would not use it in a reef system.)

Archived