Austin/Cedar Park Tap Water Quality

jvalentine83

After a few years without a tank that itch is starting to pick back up and its only a matter of time before I scratch it. That being said I have not had a tank since I moved to Austin from Baton Rouge in 2014. First thing I need to purchase is a new RO/DI unit but am unsure of which one is best for this area. Baton Rouge had some of the cleanest tap water in the south so I only needed a basic 4 stage system there. 

So, the question is what stage RO/DI do you all find the most successful in this area? I live in the North Austin, close to Cedar Park

this area uses chloramines, so you need an extra carbon stage at minimum.  I've got a 6 stage (been debating going 9 recently).  sediment+granulated carbon+1mic carbon block+RO+DI+DI.  I'd like to add a normal "fridge" carbon way up front, replace my 1st Di w/ anion-DI, 2nd di w/ anion-DI, then the 2 original mixed-bed DI.     why 2 of each?  I "refresh" my Di to save some money.  the 1st of each is the recycled stuff, the second in each pair is new stuff... this adds some redundancy if i messed up my recycling process.  I currently do it w/ the mixed bed stuff, i'd like to do it w/ anion once i get $$ and time to add 2 more stages.

• Like 1

Thanks Issac! I appreciate the info
I'm in north Austin off Wells Branch. I use the following:

1) sediment prefilter (1 micron)
2) catalytic carbon
3) catalytic carbon
4) chlorplus carbon block
5) Spectrapure membrane (best rejection rate in the industry for 75 gpd)
6) Spectrapure membrane (dual membrane setup)
7) DI mixed bed resin
8) DI mixed bed resin (dual DI)

I bought the catalytic carbon in bulk to refill my own cartridges. I've also added a RO Booster pump as the extra stages lowered my PSI significantly. I'm getting 95 PSI these days!
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...