Reef Roids

Vernon Saunders

Ok, when I got my Sps frag from the live sale I got a sample size of Polyp labs "Reef Roids". Any body have any experience with them before I give this sample? (which according to their directions looks to be good for one feeding)
I just mix it in with my frozen food when defrosting and feed then. It's a broadcast feed type food, ideally best to shut off the return pump for a bit and allow for corals to catch some and then turn the return pump back on 15-30 mins later.

ahh ok... you see any significant difference from before you started?
I am too inconsistent with its feeding to notice anything like that.

Here's a nice study by the University of Hawaii that saw increased rates of growth due to reef roids and reef chili.

http://www.academia.edu/1647139/Coral_farming_effects_of_light_water_motion_and_artificial_foods

I feed my tank with Reef Roids and Reef Chili everyday. I prep all my frozen food at the same time and I dumped some RR and RC in there. So any time I feed the tank with frozen food, it's getting dosed with RR and RC too. My corals having been growing exponentially, so it's tough to say if the addition of RR has been the cause, if it's fueling the growth even faster, or if it's just feeding the microbes in the tank. I definitely have higher nutrient levels in the tank these days than I did before, but with my coral bioload, I'm not sad about that :D

I prefer to target feed to limit the amount of excess food since I don't have a protein skimmer. I mix my reef roids and reef chili with only enough water to make a slurry/paste and feed that directly to my corals with a syringe. I don't broadcast feed the tank. For the corals I have with small polyps I make the mix a bit watery and use a pipette to spray a little puff over them.

that is an interesting video and I like how he said your probably doing it wrong and then said this is how he thinks it should be done. either way it is a good piece of information. and thanks for letting me know how yall do it as well. I have seen that you can either broadcast feed or target feed. I may try a combo (target my LPS and broadcast for Sps) and see how it work. since the sample size is pretty much a singe use I'm going to wait till my SPS frag I got are a little more acclimated to the light in my tank since not all their polyps are out yet and them feed the tank.

I feed my corals about every 3 days, and it's a nutrient bomb w/ something in every size, for everyone.  

Reef Chili, Coral Gumbo, phytoplankton, Nutri/Cell powder, regular fish food

Use a turkey baster and get the biggest chunks first to feed my sun coral, Duncans, rock anemone, then the acans and zoas as I run out of meat, then the SPS-ish w/ the broth at the end. 

Archived