Sierra Bravo's 120 in-wall tank, a.k.a "Where I keep my paychecks"

Sierra Bravo

This is what Gig 'em called the D&M millie, which from what I understand was initials for two of our members here.   So I assume this was a wild or un-named that they had offered around locally. 

It is one of the hairiest millies I've seen, normally.  With the recent addition of my "reef safe" angel, however, it only extends polyps at night so now I get a chance to look at the coloration of the coralites.  I never realized it had so much orange in it and mine is off to the side in about 200 or less PAR.  Nice little piece.

FQXz0UEh.jpg

WGXLleHh.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next tank I think I will do a little better with my rockwork. If I were to do it over I'd have used less rock, created more space in the middle and made the islands height's unequal. At this point I've got so many frags glued to it I'm not going to remove anything.

FTS with mostly blues/actinics:

3nDJFU5h.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Reefpuck said:

Very nice. Wasn't there a competition recently on growing that out?

There is - just started not too long ago.  I received mine well before they began.  In those grow-out contests everyone buys and starts with a frag at more or less the same time.

• Like 1

Sierra, 

So are you still dosing Sodium Nitrate? I just started, so I can get my nitrate above 4ppm. I dump all this frozen food, pellets AND oysterfeast in my tank, but after a day No3 reverts to 4ppm and Po4 to .02ppm.

If you are still dosing, are you just doing it manually by hand each day?

10 minutes ago, Good Greef said:

Sierra, 

So are you still dosing Sodium Nitrate? I just started, so I can get my nitrate above 4ppm. I dump all this frozen food, pellets AND oysterfeast in my tank, but after a day No3 reverts to 4ppm and Po4 to .02ppm.

If you are still dosing, are you just doing it manually by hand each day?

I test bi-weekly on Wednesday and Saturday.  Saturday I do the full regiment; Wednesday I only test alkalinity, phosphates, and nitrates; sometimes calcium.  I dose manually on those two days depending on the results and try to maintain 3-5 ppm.  Last three tests it's been staying around 1.5 - 2 ppm on its own and I've left it there without dosing. 

4 ppm No3 and .02 PO4 would be considered good numbers by a lot of people. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sierra Bravo said:

I test bi-weekly on Wednesday and Saturday.  Saturday I do the full regiment; Wednesday I only test alkalinity, phosphates, and nitrates; sometimes calcium.  I dose manually on those two days depending on the results and try to maintain 3-5 ppm.  Last three tests it's been staying around 1.5 - 2 ppm on its own and I've left it there without dosing. 

4 ppm No3 and .02 PO4 would be considered good numbers by a lot of people. 

Well my No3 could arguably be 2ppm since its a blend. Acros are just paler than when I got them. 

Ive pulled GFO and just pulled GAC, since something is too sterile here.

Good luck.

Last Saturday I made a bone-headed mistake.  I use dosers for calc and alk, but sometimes manually dose to get levels right.  I was adding 200ml of Randy's two-part calc when my pH monitor went into alarm and I immediately knew what happened:  I accidentally grabbed my alk solution instead of calc.  pH went from 7.9 to 8.4 in seconds.  Alk went from 8.7 to 11. 

Almost a week later and I've had four corals affected so far, one fully bleached and died immediately and three damaged with RTN, those showing up over the last few days.  The latest was this morning.  I've been told it may be weeks before I know how much was really affected.

Ew96aa6h.jpg

F2TCDOfh.jpg

qo5eLnSh.jpg

FfK327jh.jpg1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, victoly said:

What does your humidity look like with your vent fan setup? Does it vent to the roof?

I wish.  I dump it to the hallway which happens to have my AC return so it gets sucked up pretty quick.   I've never seen it over 60%.  Usually around 50% with the door closed according to the hygrometer.

• Like 1

I missed the last update photos, you have some really nice looking stuff in there. I love the yellow watchman I had one in my pico for a while, they have an interesting personality and their always grumpy looking face makes me laugh. That coralline algae growth is crazy.

• Like 1