Introduction and ARC "shopping trip"

Sierra Bravo

Hey there!  Please allow me to make my introduction:  My name is Scott and I currently reside in San Antonio but am originally from Florida.  We've been here in Texas for about five years.   I have had the reefing bug for getting close to a year now and own a 120 gallon in-wall that seen water for the first time last March.  She's my first tank.  It's still very much a work in progress but I've had a lot of fun learning the hobby, planning and building my system, and generally trying to hide receipts from my wife as money flows out of my checking account.    I'm active on one of the large reefing forums and was trying to stay active on our local forum, but all the action in the area seems to be on ARC, so here I am. 

I had a great experience today with several of the forum members.  I've been following and communicating with Ty for a little while and came up to pick up a frag pack he had put together for me.  It was a great experience to be at his home and oogle that tank of his in person as well as the system that runs it.   Very impressive.  Ty put together a great group of frags:

1. FarmerTy Purple Eflo

2. Oregon Tort (picture doesn't come close to how blue it is)

3. Palmer's Blue Millie

4. Aqua SD Rainbow Millie

5. Green Slimer

6. Blue Bonnet

7WXekJEh.jpg?1

Not done with my shopping list, I had purchased a Sherman Bubble Tip from mdavis735, and Mike was kind enough to bring it up to Ty's house while I was there.  It's a beauty and I'm really lucky to have it.  Now I just need to see where it wants to live and hope my two B&W Oscellaris decide the nem is better digs than the pump return pipe. . . 

6vrnE7th.jpg

My final stop on today's shopping adventure was a trip over to Gig 'em @ NDstructible's house to pick up several of the frags he had just posted as available the other night.  John's tank is another that is full of stunning coral and I was blown away by just how much is in his tank.  I told him looking through his tank was like playing hide and seek - there something behind everything else that you didn't see the first time.

John's great frags:

1. UC Bali Shortcake

2. Unnamed.  It's a really nice reddish-pink and green hyacinthus.  The colony was awesome.

3. Red Planet

4. Blue Tenuis

5. Reefwise Blue Iris

6. Sarmentosa

8XEPUNdh.jpg?1

To say I am happy with all the livestock is an understatement.  Thrilled is more like it. 

Anyway - what a great way to be introduced to three of the folks here at ARC.  I'm sure I'll enjoy my time on the forum and thanks for having me.

Hey Scott! Welcome to ARC! I picked up a blue tenuis from John today too!

Yeah, this has been a tremendous group and is exceptionally helpful to new reefers.

I just filled my 75 gallon in September. Can't wait for all the little frag babies to grow!

Cheers,

Paula

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Welcome! It sounds like you had a full day checking out a couple of awesome tanks from the area. Glad you were able to find some great additions for your tank. Keep the passion alive!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Scott forgot to mention that I put him to work at my place and made him hang a light pulley lift system that he installed on his tank as well. Nobody can leave my place before first contributing to the build. [emoji23]

Joking aside, Scott is a great addition to our community. I hope you start your build thread on here Scott and share the work you've done on your tank. Just a master crasftmen with the entire build, he may be new to reefing but the way he set up the tank was amazing! I stole his light lift idea and also his PVC foamboard background idea. Thanks Scott and great to meet you in person today! I'm glad you decided to join ARC!f9169de3bc545ea0ee76a76583f9e95b.jpg

Wow, welcome Scott!  Sounds like you did the grand tour and helped Ty in the process.  You're setting the bar high for new members!  Can't wait to see your build thread here.
I think all new members should have to come help me with my tank first before officially joining ARC. [emoji12]

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really ticked off this morning.   The two pics below are the same frag.  I mounted it on Saturday.  This morning I find that an urchin has completely munched the hell out of it.  I had some purple spine urchins as hitchhikers from my live rock and I kept them because they looked cool and I thought they only ate algae.  I didn't know they'd do this.  I found the urchin on it yesterday morning and moved it away thinking it was just around near it.  This morning I caught it in the act on the frag.

Sorry Gig'em - that was your beautiful blue tenuis.  I hope I can save it from the tip that is remaining.

Anyone have any use for three purple spine urchins?  I don't think the'd hurt anything in a softie tank.

IUiukBth.png

qexvGh7m.jpg

Archived