New corals inbound

Vernon Saunders

On the topic of Sps frags... How should I acclimate the frags when I get them on Tuesday? I know I will have to get them up to the temp of my tank but not sure if I should drip acclimate them after that of stick them in the sand. Would appreciate any and all advice from experienced stickheads to this novice stickhead.

On the topic of Sps frags... How should I acclimate the frags when I get them on Tuesday? I know I will have to get them up to the temp of my tank but not sure if I should drip acclimate them after that of stick them in the sand. Would appreciate any and all advice from experienced stickheads to this novice stickhead.
I actually always test the alkalinity and salinity of all the frags first then based on that, either gradually acclimate the water via drip or just pouring my tank water into the bag to acclimate.

The most important thing to do though is dip all frags and if possible, remove the frag plug that it came in and glue it on your own plug. If you do these simple things, you'll save a headache of pests from the get go and be ahead of a majority of the reefers out there who don't dip their acros.

Make note of where the seller kept the frags, lighting, flow, etc and try to mimic that in your own system upon introduction as well.

My favorite dips to use for acros is Bayer Insecticide and potassium chloride (can be found as water softener pellets). I've actually been using the potassium chloride almost exclusively as of late which is great since I don't have to mess with rubber gloves and pesticides.

Here's a good wrap up of the dips I use.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triple-dip-combo.224494/

Ill check out the link I know that the frags were kept under "We keep this coral under Eco Tech Radion XR30wPRO LED lights with an intensity of approximately 200-250 PAR" (that's right off their site) they don't mention flow except that it needs strong flow. I don't have Radion lights, I have an Odyssea T5/LED. 

It was a race to the check out.. basically you had to get a shipping module before hand and watch the page and if you saw a coral you wanted VERY quickly add it to cart and check out for each coral you wanted in order to secure it. I got 5 but tried to get 12-15, it was difficult at first but once I got in the groove it was fun.

Archived