RicFreak 20g - So much room for activities!

RicordeaFreak

Been meaning to start this thread. Lets jump right into this one shall we.

20G Nuvo - I won this tank in a raffle at Reef currents 2017.

Light: 300w No named black box I bought from Austin Aqua Farms that they had been using, but were replacing with a Radeon XR30 G4 Pro. I figured if the light was working for them it should work for me. Its been working well so far it only has two channels, but I haven't gone past 50% power yet. I run it at 50% blues and 40% white.

Pump: I'm still using the original for now, but plan to upgrade to a MJ1200, I also have a rio 180 for extra flow along the back until I get a proper power head.

I used some left over dry pukani that I had from setting up my wife's 10g Nuvo and decided a while back that I would attempt a bare bottom tank on this setup. I'm not really too happy with the layout of the rock and could probably add more, but I haven't really started gluing anything to the rock yet so It's not too late to redo it. I mainly just tried to stack it as secure as possible and left it alone to cure.

After a week of letting the tank cycle I added a piece of rock from my wife's 10g that she no longer wanted in her tank to allow the pods to start populating.

1winnerwinnerchickendinner - Nuvo 20.JPG

FTS

2.JPG

Taken on 10/22/17

Around the end of October I picked up these two black picasso clowns from Jimbo662 and continued to let the system go. 

In November of 2017 I attended my first ARC meeting had a great time and took home a plate coral from Ty, this plate would be the first addition of coral to the tank. Such an awesome coral and its grown like crazy. It's easily my favorite coral to feed and watch eat.

In December I finally moved over the once single head duncan which is now 7 heads and toadstool leather from my pico as they were now getting way to big for the tank. I had also picked up a gold hammer, green and purple frogspawn and a RBTA from Jen_H.

This month I attended the ARC frag swap and took home a few nice corals. I wouldn't be holding up to my account name if I didn't walk away with at least a couple new Ricordea Florida. I also picked up a jackolantern leptoseris from Jolt and was gifted a burning banana stylocoeniella as well as a really nicely colored leptastrea from one of the vendors for helping them out. Don't tell my ricordea this, but I the stylo was my favorite piece I took home that day. I also moved over some zoa's that had been growing out in my wifes 10g as she needed to free up space, I'll probably be fragging these in the future. I also started my first frag of the stylo as there was 3 tiny polyps grown on the stem of the plug its been doing well so far since cutting it and is spreading.

3.png4.png5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg14.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Taken on 1/22/18

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jolt said:

Everything looks happy to me.  The jack o'lantern seems to be doing well!

Thanks! Its encrusting more and more each day, my wife was really happy to finally check this one off her list. Now to just find the space to glue it down...

16 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Looks great! Those pictures are amazing! What are you taking them with?

Thank you! Samsung Galaxy S7 shot in pro mode with no filter or clip on lens. The clowns are hard to get a good shot of, but those images of them were screen shots from a video. Still working out how to take better photo's and video as it was my first time using this phone.

6 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

Glad to see the clowns...and everything else doing well...and yeah...great pictures.

Thanks! They've recently started attacking my hand when siphoning the bottom of the tank with water changes. Looks like i'm going to have to get some rubber gloves in the near future...

• Like 1

wow...that plate looks great! I may have to scour the internet to find me one!  [emoji6]
I'm "in" with the guy who originated the fungia plate. Let me know and I'll put in a good word for you.

The video looks great ricordeafreak! Tank is really coming together.e9c760061a6cb07064e4780280516e13.jpg
  • Like 1

To eliminate reflections it's best to have the room completely dark with only the aquarium light on.  Eliminating shakes when holding my cell is something I'm still working on :D  but youtube (and maybe your cell phone) has software to reduce some of it.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Timfish said:

To eliminate reflections it's best to have the room completely dark with only the aquarium light on.  Eliminating shakes when holding my cell is something I'm still working on :D  but youtube (and maybe your cell phone) has software to reduce some of it.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll have to try that next time. I’ll have to look more at what options are on the phone for video editing. I’m not too familiar with this new phone.

• 1 month later...

Been meaning to update this page. Some of the photos are not as recent, but figured i'd post them as well to catch up and see their progress.

I picked up this Chips acro from ShawnM, thanks again for such a nice piece.

20180209_220359 - trimmed.jpg

JF Burning Banana

a - trimmed.jpg

The actinic only light really brings out its yellow.

20180209_221004 - trimmed.jpg

Of course what would my updates be without a few new ricordea florida. 

20180209_220946 - trimmed.jpg

All photos above taken on 2/9/18

I picked up a double polyp zoa that turned out to be two different types, or maybe a morph?

20180224_212219 - trimmed.jpg

20180224_213641 - trimmed.jpg

Pink with green polyp stylophora, not a great photo.

20180224_212432 - trimmed.jpg

Persian rug mushroom

20180224_212949 - trimmed.jpg20180224_213240 - trimmed.jpg

All above photos taken on 2/24/18

I can't remember what this was called other than some type of Millepora that I picked up from Gig' em. Thank you for the fuzzy stick.

20180302_211642 - build photo.jpg

Yet another new Ricordea Florida, I think I have a serious problem...
 20180302_211125 - build photo.jpg

All photos above taken on 3/2/18

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, ShawnM said:

Love those florida rics and yeah I think we may all have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have another three more since the last time I took photos... Its so hard to pass them up.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:01 AM, jolt said:

Your corals all look very healthy, but I think you will outgrow that tank, maybe yesterday

I still have some room to play with, not much though haha. The major problem is the Anemone I have had been moving around too much for me to attempt to mount anything to rock. I'm thinking about giving it away as its not really flourishing in my system and I would rather it be in a home it felt happier in.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:52 PM, Jimbo662 said:

WOW...what an assortment of stuff! Yeah...you do need a bigger tank...wink...wink!

Agreed, now I just gotta convince my wife that she needs a bigger tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, BobcatReefer said:

Just want to say that aside digging all the beautiful corals in your tank, I crack up every time I read the thread title!

Did we just become best friends? Do you want to go do karate in the garage?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...