Empty quarantine tank...

Paula

So, it's time to get something else going on in the tank fish wise. I'm looking to see if anyone has any thoughts....

DT is 75 gallon with about 25 gallons in the sump. It's been up and running since the beginning of september. Good population of copepods and amphipods. Currently the fishy population is two ocellaris and a one spot foxface. 

One thought is a wrasse and that is something I defs want at some point. (I do have a nice secure lid now). A pink spotted watchman is a thought but I'm not sure my substrate isn't too coarse. I would love to have something along those lines, they have a lot of character. 

Orchid dottyback....

I'm starting to see why so many people say a 75 gallon is too small. A purple tang would be great.

I have a 75g and I agree w/ them - needs to be bigger! :D

Save the Dottyback for last, given the potential aggression issues.  I'm a fan of Gobies and Blennies and smaller peaceful fish because you can get more in the tank.  Have a Dragonet too and would like to have a Black Cap Basslet as well.

Save the Dottyback for last, given the potential aggression issues.  I'm a fan of Gobies and Blennies and smaller peaceful fish because you can get more in the tank.  Have a Dragonet too and would like to have a Black Cap Basslet as well.

Thanks for the tip about the Dottyback! I like the gobies and blennies too. I like fish with personality. Seems like they have it in abundance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If ever get the go ahead to set up a bigger system I have falco hawkfish on my list, or the longnose pygmy. Both seem really fun to watch.
Yeah. I'd like a hawkfish. ****... gonna need at least a 125!

I always try to add a Halichoeres wrasse, one of the smaller species would be fine in a 75 (Radiant wrasse is the most striking species of that genus IMO).   I haven't had as many problems with them as with psuedochromis (dotybacks) species.   Black cap basslets have the same coloring as the Orchid Dottyback and has the advantage of a mellower temperment and you could have a trio in a 75.  Plus they like to swim upside down or on their side.  Geometric pygmy perchlet/Hawkfish are only 2" and you should be able to establish a pair.  (And a tall 150 or 180 will have almost the same footprint as a 125 :D )

Radiant wrasse is the most striking species of that genus.

Black cap basslets have the same coloring as the Orchid Dottyback and has the advantage of a mellower temperment and you could have a trio in a 75. 

Yeah, a Radiant wrasse looks brilliant! In terms of grammas, what about the old standby Royal Gramma?

Also think a Watchman Goby might be on the list but not sure about possible probs with wrasse bothering a shrimp.

Royal Grammas have the advantage of being cheaper than the Black Caps.   They can be mixed too and will interact with each other (my guess is they would hybridize if someone ever figured out how to collect and raise the larva).

Archived