Hi all,

I have made an Excel spreadsheet for me to use to help keep me on track and honest about my water testing. I have formatted it with average parameters for a mixed reef tank since that is the tank I am currently striving for. The parameters are completely customizable to what you want in your tank with about 15-20 minutes of work depending on your knowledge of Excel. With the formatting I currently have set up it will let you know when your parameters are inline with what you desire for your tank. I set in a dosing calculator for additives and medications (if you use them) to help you quickly figure out how many mL of the solutions you use and it is able to figure out a daily dosage based on the recommended dosing procedures on the bottle.

I have included it on the post if anyone is interested in the file. If you have a hard time changing the parameters to the ones you desire let me know and I will gladly set them up for you. If any of you do end up using the file, I would love to hear any feedback about it on how it works for you/how to improve it for easier use.

Tank Levels Shareable.xlsx

Nice!  I used excel for several years to track everything.  I also had a "maintenace" log tab (kept track of dates and amounts of water changes, additives, etc.) and a "livestock" tab (what I got, where I got it, when I got it)

I also made it cause I have been really bad about actually test my water so I made it to basically assist me in actually doing them. Plus would like to see how things work out long term so I can recreate them once I have the space to make a 200+ gallon reef.

Any tool that helps us stay consistent is a great idea! I've been using a hand written log for several years. I find it useful to have a comments section where you can log any corrective actions taken. For example, if you increase dosing or do a water change that might account for a sudden increase or decrease in readings. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all I'm bumping this up since it has been about a month since I posted this and was wanting to know how many people have taken a look at the spreadsheet or are currently trying it out. I would love to hear if y'all have any critiques for it as I am currently attempting to make it easier for users with different tanks by creating different tabs for those reefs (softie/lps/mixed/SPS dom) so that the user doesn't have to play with and set their own zones... this of course will be based on usual/generally accepted levels for things. 

Archived