Testing kits

Beaux

Now that I am feeling a bit more comfortable with my reefing skills, I need to invest in the full spectrum kits. I have just a basic one that is more for fresh water than salt. Anyone have any suggestions or expierance they would like to share on which brand to go with?

I guess for starters expensive isn't necessarily better and I would suggest getting with other aquarists and trying different test kits to see what you find are the easiest to use.  Foe myself I use:

Alkalinity - API

pH - API

Nitrate >1.0 mg/l  -  Nyos

Nitrate <1.0 mg/l Red Sea

PO4 > 0.5 mg/l - API

P04  < 0.5 mg/l Nyos  Elos

Calcium - API

Magnesium - Red Sea

Since my test kits get carted around in my van I've found the nitrate reagents age much quicker than the dates given so I replace those often.  There are nitrate standards available if you want to check them periodicly.  I have run into a problem with a salinity standard changing for refractometers even though it was kept tightly capped in my frig so I also now keep a glass hydrometer around to double check refractometers along with a standard.  With all my test kits I try to remember to check an old test kit/reagent against a new test kit even if the expiration date is a long way off.   One tester I was not impressed with was Hanna's alklinity.  When I got mine I compared it to a friends with the same sample of water and got 4 different results  with a difference of .5 dKH using both reagents in the same tester and a maximum of .9 dKH between the two testers.  Using APIs Alklinity and doubling or tripling the sample then dividing the result by 2 or 3 would be easier and more consistent.

I'm a big fan of the Hanna alkalinity checker.   I use Hanna ULR phosphorous (its low range, they have a higher range phosphate meter too), and I use Salifert for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and magnesium.  Red sea for iodine.

I use a Hanna for alkalinity. Definitely want to get the ULR Phosphorous when I'm not spending all my $$$ on other things. Currently, I use Salifert for CA, Mg, and Phosphorous. Using an API for nitrites and nitrates.

I like the Hanna, I have a very consistent technique and I think that helps me feel confident in the results.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Archived