Kessel, par, height, ect..

Dogfish

I have 4 -360's to hang above my tank. It will be about 30" from the top of tank to the sand bed. Any thoughts on how high I should hang them over the top of the tank for starters. I would like to be somewhere in the ball park to start with. My old tank was only 18" deep and I had them about 1 foot over the tank 18" apart. That produced good growth for bottom dwelling coral. I cant recall what I had them ramped up too. Cant find my old programing.

Thanks in advance

Are they wide or narrow configurations?   I wouldn't have them any closer than 6" above the surface to reduce spray being sucked into them.   Depending on the if they are WE or NE and spacing between them at 36" I think you may have an issue getting enough light for a lot of stuff. 

51 minutes ago, Timfish said:

Are they wide or narrow configurations?   I wouldn't have them any closer than 6" above the surface to reduce spray being sucked into them.   Depending on the if they are WE or NE and spacing between them at 36" I think you may have an issue getting enough light for a lot of stuff. 

They are W. The 2 sand spots that might have clams are located near the front. Do you think,  2 of those lights you just made might work, if pointed at those spots? The rock surface of the lowest rock will be 18" below the water surface. If I keep the 360's low and spaced closer together you think I will have enough use able light? Or should I try to cram something like a T247 between them?

Definitely, using the 3 Cree XM-L2 leds stars and with medium/narrow optics you'll get 150/300 PAR at 36".  And if you don't count your labor it's brighter and cheaper than another Kessil (~$250).   The clam species is a factor also, squamosa's do well with lower light. 

11 hours ago, ckyuv said:

What size tank are we talking? How wide is it? 

The tank is 5 x 5.  Water depth aprox 30" , less the sand bed. The rock The photos attached show the spots where the clams could go if placed on the sand. If thats not going to work then those 2 spots will be converted to 8" deep sand bowls for the jawfish. Im going to try to do a video later today and post it up on youtube of the rock work to better show the depth.

15 minutes ago, Timfish said:

Definitely, using the 3 Cree XM-L2 leds stars and with medium/narrow optics you'll get 150/300 PAR at 36".  And if you don't count your labor it's brighter and cheaper than another Kessil (~$250).   The clam species is a factor also, squamosa's do well with lower light. 

Great I'll have to start looking into the parts and a mounting system.

Clam_Jawfish1.jpg

Clam_Jawfish2.jpg

Archived