300 Gallon Disaster Reboot

Sascha D.

2 hours ago, Dogfish said:

I have a Wall Hammer. The base is inbetween 2 rocks

PS: how do I show the video here in the post and not just the link?  Insert other media / insert from URL does not seem to work

https://youtu.be/03KDdmuHdm0

Looks like a wall octospawn. I've got one with a little different coloring. I've read that encasing the skeleton in rock stunts the growth because the Euphyllia doesn't encrust. I wonder if the skeleton will continue to grow, in a different shape, over the rock. How long have you had it wedged like that?

Beautiful. I lost a wall octo to the same bout of bjd. One branching hammer had it, but I was able to remove the infected branch. Fragging the walls didn’t save them Thank you again for the new hammer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Christyef said:

Beautiful. I lost a wall octo to the same bout of bjd. One branching hammer had it, but I was able to remove the infected branch. Fragging the walls didn’t save them Thank you again for the new hammer!

I'm happy that it's gone to a good home. It was good seeing you again! Who knows, maybe I'll host a meeting next year:cool:

• Like 1

Sascha - what's the price break on that much?  I would think the shipping would offset any discount, but I know you pay attention to that closely, so curious as to the actual discount after shipping.

Not sure how it would really apply to me, as 4 packs lasts me ~4 months, but just curious on the math involved.  

2 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Sascha - what's the price break on that much?  I would think the shipping would offset any discount, but I know you pay attention to that closely, so curious as to the actual discount after shipping.

Not sure how it would really apply to me, as 4 packs lasts me ~4 months, but just curious on the math involved.  

The first year I ordered frozen food online was in 2018 following a particularly frustrating incident. That batch of 20 packages lasted me roughly 14 months, but the increased fish population will likely bring that down to a 11-12 month supply. This breakdown does not include sales tax because the local and online rates should be the same. Also, I estimated the LFS price per package based on what I remember paying for angelfish food in 2017 and the actual price today may be different. 

image.png

Thanks for the breakdown!
Might want to check on the tax angle though - not sure you're paying taxes on items purchased/shipped from out of state.  Added savings there...
I believe the Supreme Court ruled that states can tax online sales and every online purchase that I've made this year has definitely included taxes. It was little known that eBay did not charge tax giving it an advantage over Amazon and other retailers even when the price was the same. My eBay purchases from November did not included taxes, but my cart yesterday itemized taxes. LiveAquaria and DFS have charged taxes for at least two years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The SC ruling says states "can" charge, but it doesn't require it.  I know that we don't charge tax for any customers outside of Texas, but we don't sell a tangible goood  (SaaS).  Just looking at my last half-dozen Amazon orders and only 2 have any tax collected, and one order looks like it only collected from 2 items out of 7 ($3.83 is 4.1% of $91.26).  Still the wild, wild, west out there!

Mystery Acro - I don't remember what it's call or where I got it from, but I save the tiniest nub from a dying colony after my last crash. I never expected it to live and now it's doing awesome!
3-11-18
1072633232_MysteryAcro3-11-18.thumb.JPG.97fd8bf343e95394f4dfd1922d91bc91.JPG
6-28-18
2125604066_MysteryAcro6-28-18.thumb.JPG.06b1fda4c7a859ed2f596e7102a19344.JPG
12-8-18
361094900_MysteryAcropora12-8-18.thumb.JPG.d1b1fcca7cb1967b6f2da65a4830a001.JPG

4c299ec29a8aa762a0af7ee94a5aa70e.jpg

Perhaps my Blue Stag?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheeky Superman Rhodactus escaped the motherland and tried to form a new colony in a far away place! Found this little bugger in-between Acroland and Hammer Island. Guess he'll need a new home!2167f4b784483723dc3e21329c260149.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just think of it this way...at least you know the skimmer is working! [emoji846]
Haha I don't normally let it get this full. One day we were talking about neutral colors and the next half my house is covered in plastic! I'm not exactly sure how this happened but I blame HDTV.

I had company on Monday that stayed a little longer than I’d liked. Cleaned my cup and the company decided to leave! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji123]. I’ll remember that next time!

I guess after a year I should clean mine. When I have time........
Watchu got, a 20g reservoir with a neck cleaner? [emoji2962] I can go about 4 weeks on my current cup and skim consistency level.

It drain into a 5 gallon container that I do empty, rather than have it go down the drain. I wiped off the front a bit so you can see the foam. Looks like its growing some green algae in the neck. Maybe hair algae or green coraline.

skim.jpg

On 4/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, Dogfish said:

It drain into a 5 gallon container that I do empty, rather than have it go down the drain. I wiped off the front a bit so you can see the foam. Looks like its growing some green algae in the neck. Maybe hair algae or green coraline.

This sump has been dark all three years, but I've toyed around with going back to a lit refugium. Both methods have their benefits and I think the lit sump produces more in the way of microfauna. One thing that I don't miss is cleaning coralline and other types of algae off the skimmer! Every time I sit down to redesign my sump, some new project comes along. :fish: