Sascha D.

300 Gallon Disaster Reboot

Hey everyone, 

I hope that you all had a great holiday. Mine was nice and quiet, a little too quiet! I guess I've been busy so long that it doesn't seem normal to have down time. I'll have to admit that Black Friday and Cyber Monday were disappointing this year. I normally wait months for the discounts and I didn't see anything special this time. Where's the grandness of the holidays?  Thanksgiving is all about excess and these companies run 15% off sales routinely. Sadly, I didn't buy anything fancy or exciting. I found a 50% off deal on salt mix and bought a year's supply. I also got some routine items, like RODI filters and Hanna reagent. 

A strange thing happened with my fish over the holidays. I don't know if it's the new lights or the fact that we were home all day, but several fish jumped out of the aquarium. I've had some of these fish for years and it's strange behavior. I ended up losing my prized Dusky Wrasse, a Cleaner Wrasse that ate everything, the new Blonde Naso Tang, and Convict Tang. I guess I'll have to work on covering the back of the canopy after reworking the return and drain lines.  Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe it. 

• Sad 1

Hate it when the fish jump!  I recently lost a magma wrasse through a tiny opening in my screen top.

Yeah, I went ahead and put screens on my tank since I was tired of losing fishing to jumping after QTing them for so long..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Dominican said:

Really sorry to hear it. So many! Any chance there was electrical leaching with the new setup somehow?

Definitely possible. I haven't added any new equipment, but a pump or something could have shorted out. I don't get shocked when I put my hands in the tank, but I haven't tested it. From what I've read in the past, every piece of equipment touching the water leeches a small current in the aquarium. Any idea how much is too much?

Mystery Acro - I don't remember what it's call or where I got it from, but I save the tiniest nub from a dying colony after my last crash. I never expected it to live and now it's doing awesome!

3-11-18

Mystery Acro 3-11-18.JPG

6-28-18

Mystery Acro 6-28-18.JPG

12-8-18

Mystery Acropora 12-8-18.JPG

• Like 3

Fish fat and healthy, sand and glass spotless, corals happy.  Nice work!