My DIY Auto-Top-Off

MrZ2u

I had a relatively inexpensive ATO that crapped itself so I need a new one.  I like to make stuff and there is really nothing to the mechanism that is an ATO so yeah, I'm gonna make it myself.

I wanted the low water fill, over fill protection, protection for the pump should the RO reservoir run dry and an alarm to let me know when that happens.  The only one that has all the triggers I wanted that I could find is the Neptune Systems ATK which is $200...which is not bad considering all the Apex integration and redundancies but I am a tightwad AND I like to DIY so here is what I have so far.  I am going to make it a lot neater but I got it all wired up right and tested and I am feeling a little good about myself so I thought I would post this and seek your adoration as well :) 

I'll post pics of the pretty one later...

I am already talking with a coder friend of mine to write an app to use a Pi Zero for some brains and wifi connect to send either sms alerts of either an empty reservoir or if the overfill float is actuated.  Goal is to have a complete ATO with pump that can send alerts for as little as possible :)

Since the relays need power as well as the pump I needed two separate power supplies...I was going to gut a couple wall warts (I have a box full of orphaned ones) but I only had one 12v with enough amperage for the pump and when I gutted it I was not comfortable with using its innards.  I could have just them both externally but that would be a outlet problem and ugly as well.  Amazon didnt have any dual output 12v that werent the size of a VHS tape on prime and I am not patient anymore because of Prime.   All the smaller ones were 12v/5v...so I ordered another relay board with 5v relays...three of them actually cause, well, $9 for three or $6 for one.   Thats why the relay module is no longer red.   I'll put links to those below.

Power Supply $6.80
Relays  $8.99 ($3.00 ea)
Vertical float switches $9.59 ($1.60 ea)
Right angle float switches $10.99 ($1.83 ea)

Still in beta here but this one will be in operation tomorrow.   I farted around with several different things to hang the floats and settled on this...which aint pretty but it works!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/d74a2"><a href="//imgur.com/d74a2">Aquarium</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20171216_210740.jpg

20171216_173128.jpg

yeah, that is a problem these days.  I used to put things on photobucket and share from there but they killed everyone links there unless you pay.  

I share them from google photos and I can see these on my feed.  I deleted those and just dragged them from my desktop...of course I can still see them but dont know if you can.  What is everyone else doing to share pictures in forums these days?

7 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

I use imgur.  photobucket is worthless now.

No doubt...they at least could have just stopped it from a date going forward and left that which was shared already alone.  There are TONS of missing images out there on forum after forum after forum.  

19 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I post straight from the tapatalk app.

Well, that too.  But anything w/ more than a couple of pics seems easier to transfer to computer, bulk upload to imgur and c/p to the forum on laptop.  Then again, I'm laptop > phone for most everything, so grains of salt and all that.

Archived