About to get certified...

Paula

Just wondering who might be currently active in diving. I'm hoping to (once I'm trained and sufficiently ready) start doing volunteer stuff down at Spring Lake in San Marcos.

I'd also love to go check out the Flower Gardens. So.... Looking for potential dive buddies in the near future!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Paula, congrats!  My wife and I finally got certified two years ago.  I actually did my cert dives in Spring Lake at San Marcos, Laura did hers at Lake Travis.  We're both talking about doing the AquaCorps training in early 2018 so that we can help maintain the lake and have a local place to dive/keep our skills current.  

http://www.meadowscenter.txstate.edu/Service/Diving/AquaCorps

It would be great to have a group of ARCers in the program.  If there is interest in taking the training together I can talk to them about scheduling something for us.

Excellent! I'll be doing my open water dives in Spring Lake this coming weekend. Aquacorps requires you to have logged 20 dives before you qualify. I won't have that by early 2018 but want to try to get it as soon as possible. I did go ahead and drop some bucks getting equipment. I still need wetsuit and tank but have regulator, BCD etc. Really looking forward to being in Spring Lake. I used to go there as a kid to Aquarena Springs. Seems like the best freshwater diving for hundreds of miles! I'm really stoked!

I loved my training dives in Spring Lake as I'd always wanted to swim there.  With its protected status this is one of the few ways to be able to do so.  It's cold, but with your wet suit you'll adapt quickly, and the water clarity is the closest thing to good ocean conditions that you'll find in fresh water.  I think Dan and my wife both felt that the challenge that Lake Travis' murky water provided was actually better for learning, but I was in a hurry to get certified before a Hawaii trip and it turned out great.

Enjoy your dives, don't stress, and enjoy the beauty of the area!

Archived