Is this a parasite?

Logan Schwandt

I'm trying to decide whether or not these two have some kind of disease or not... They are all acting normal but I really don't wanna lose one of these. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth taking them out of the tank and treating them or if I can wait it out. The pictures aren't great, I'm mostly worried about the spot on the angel on her side. 8a413020b173f764ebfd26f3f1ebb6fa.jpgea2388ce61cede4697debedac0c1f8f0.jpg204b4ab405b23dfcb65a50aae374d57e.jpg3fcfe8769ff819ace557692774e19d3a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How long have you had them? Did you QT them and if so, what was the regiment for treatment?
I've had them for about a month. They are the only fish in the tank besides a hawkfish... I didn't do any quarantine, thinking there isn't much else to the tank... Only other things in the tank are a bunch of inverts and 5 or 6 small coral frags and an anemone.

How would you describe what you see? The pictures are hard to make out for fine detail.
The angel fish looks like it has a weird looking scale on its side, but the clown fish, especially under the blue lights, looks like he has some tiny white dots near the top of his body. They also each have lighter lips, but I'm not sure if that's normal from picking at the rocks or if it's a sign.. They each are acting normal and I haven't seen any rapid growth or anything like that in the spots... Just worried it might be coming on really slow. The hawk fish looks completely fine, no sign of anything. The clown is a naked clown, which is what makes me second guess whether it's natural or not.

Right now my guess would be ich, which I'm not usually overly worried about these days unless you keep a powder blue tang or Achilles tang, as they have no resistence to it.

If you notice sensitivity to light, swimming in front of power heads, rapid breathing, and there are so many spots you can't even count, might assume velvet.

Right now my guess would be ich, which I'm not usually overly worried about these days unless you keep a powder blue tang or Achilles tang, as they have no resistence to it.

If you notice sensitivity to light, swimming in front of power heads, rapid breathing, and there are so many spots you can't even count, might assume velvet.
Awesome. That's what I was planning on if it was just ich, but I was afraid of velvet.

If I saw this situation in any of my tanks I would be installing a big UV sterilizor or pulling out the fish to treat them in QT and leaving the DT empty of fish for 11 weeks.  Like Ty I do not worry too much about a few spots but established reef systems are not conducive for ich to reproduce.  Corals and sponges will be thinning out larva, there's and a lot of stuff growing on rocks so the adults have a harder time finding spots to attach to and encyst and there's animals cleaning off the rocks removing some of the cysts that do form.  You don't have any of this yet in your system and my guess is you're seeing a the 2nd generation and in about 8 - 12 days you'll see the 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...

So after much time spent closely inspecting my fish, I came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with my clown fish, and my hawkfish as always looked completely healthy. But my Angelfish was progressively getting worse. But the other day I found out that some of my Hardware was not functioning properly. I ordered two brand-new nice digital thermometers for my display tank and sump, and quickly became shocked when my tank was reading below 70 degrees. It appears, my old thermometer was malfunctioning, and for whatever reason, the two 400 watt heaters that I have in my tank are not able to heat my tank anywhere near 78°. I feel like this cold temperature definitely caused my Angelfish 2 lose its slime coat, thus get an infection. Buying all new heaters, and going to get the tank back up to the proper temperature as quickly as possible.

I tried to raise the temperature, but nothing was changing and my heaters were constantly running. I decided to buy new thermometers only to find out the water temp is 69 degrees. With the new heaters its only been an hour and already up above 72..i hope it's not too late for the angel.

I tried to raise the temperature, but nothing was changing and my heaters were constantly running. I decided to buy new thermometers only to find out the water temp is 69 degrees. With the new heaters its only been an hour and already up above 72..i hope it's not too late for the angel.

If he's lasted this long, I'm sure he'll pull through. I would just raise it a couple degrees per day. Don't want to shock the fish is my thought but maybe others will chime in.

If he's lasted this long, I'm sure he'll pull through. I would just raise it a couple degrees per day. Don't want to shock the fish is my thought but maybe others will chime in.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived