The Money Pit

dustint21

Hello all! I’ve been out of the game for a while. This will be my fourth reef tank. The last tank was in 2008. I’ve been trying to catch up on all the new stuff...

The tank is a Planet Aquariums 60x30x22 starfire on 3 sides. It has and external overflow. The stand is heavy walled steel tube and has been powdercoated. 

Lighting
Ati 8x54 dimmable 

Sump
Bashsea SS36 with remote Lifereef fuge 

Skimmer
Reef Octopus 200int

Return pump
Eflux 6011

Controller 
2016 Apex

This is where I’m currently at. Lots and lots more needed.....

A771F9A5-A1F6-40FD-96E1-738ED1BC83BB.jpeg

3FC26B09-6871-438C-8C57-E8FCBB1BF20A.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I already said it but I'll say it again! Nice setup! Gig'em and I will send you your membership card as an official member of the red stand clan.

Thanks Ty! I will be looking for that card! Lol

10 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

Looks good so far!

Is the ATI the 4’. Jenn is selling her basically brand new ATI hybrids so you could upgrade to the hybrid. I love mine.

Plan for substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ATI is a 4ft. If I remember correctly Jen is selling 2 36” fixtures. My tank is only 60”. I don’t believe one will cover to my liking and 2 will be too much.

the tank has a black pvc bottom. I wanted to go bare bottom. However the wife wants sand. Happy wife happy life! 

I picked up some oceans direct original grade from BRS on the Black Friday sale.

• Like 1

Last night I got the tank pulled down off the stand with the help of a few friends. I finished the up installing the bulkheads and got three unions installed for the drains. 

We then added the large slab of granite under the tank! Lots of heavy lifting!

I also got the skimmer mocked up. It fits nicely! Hope it’s big enough. I think it may be a little underrated for my total water volume. I can always upgraded down the road if needed.

2E51C411-965A-48E8-9614-C653FF02ED23.jpeg

462FEBCB-48D7-48DC-BC94-93DBFEFBD3BE.jpeg

F6F7F485-35EF-472D-AD8C-4CCFE6F4624D.jpeg

1486DBF5-CAEA-4801-966D-97F99145ED3A.jpeg

5E7FD72A-ED39-4ED9-8924-E038F93DCCA6.jpeg

• Like 1

The ATI is a 4ft. If I remember correctly Jen is selling 2 36” fixtures. My tank is only 60”. I don’t believe one will cover to my liking and 2 will be too much.

the tank has a black pvc bottom. I wanted to go bare bottom. However the wife wants sand. Happy wife happy life! 
I picked up some oceans direct original grade from BRS on the Black Friday sale.

Hmm.. I think she’s mistaken since her Tank is 8’ and she had 2 ATIs covering from end to end. which would make them 4’.

36” would definitely be too small for you if that’s the case.

You may also want an auto neck cleaner for that skimmer. I have the regal 300 and it’s a monster!

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

Hmm.. I think she’s mistaken since her Tank is 8’ and she had 2 ATIs covering from end to end. which would make them 4’.

36” would definitely be too small for you if that’s the case.

You may also want an auto neck cleaner for that skimmer. I have the regal 300 and it’s a monster!

I just sent Jen a text. They are 48”! **** you! Now I got try to get the funds together...

neck cleaner is on on my list!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dustint21 said:

I just sent Jen a text. They are 48”! **** you! Now I got try to get the funds together...

neck cleaner is on on my list!

No doubt the ATI Powermodules are awesome, I have two 48" units myself.  That said, if I was in your position of already having an 8-bulb ATI unit, I would just add some supplemental LEDs to your current lights if you find yourself wanting some more shimmer/color control.

32 minutes ago, BornToHula said:

No doubt the ATI Powermodules are awesome, I have two 48" units myself.  That said, if I was in your position of already having an 8-bulb ATI unit, I would just add some supplemental LEDs to your current lights if you find yourself wanting some more shimmer/color control.

I don’t think it’s in the cards right now. I would love to have one and Jen has a great price on hers. This will prolly be the route I go. Thinking RB XHO would a good add on.

I don’t think it’s in the cards right now. I would love to have one and Jen has a great price on hers. This will prolly be the route I go. Thinking RB XHO would a good add on.

I love the hybrid because you can ramp up and down the leds, change their colors throughout the day, etc. and it’s all in one instead of more plugs and wires.

But that’s me.

37 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

I love the hybrid because you can ramp up and down the leds, change their colors throughout the day, etc. and it’s all in one instead of more plugs and wires.

But that’s me.

All in one is great. However like I said I just can’t justify the purchase to the wife after the last month of purchases. I still have stuff I need to get the tank wet. Gotta pick my battles wisely! 

41 minutes ago, Dogfish said:

Wow Great stuff. How will i ever convince any live stock to move into my tank with all this fancy real estate out there.

Lol thanks. I will give you a month or two to get stocked up!

Dustin, look into the SBreef lights as well when shopping the Reefbrites. I was torn between the two as well and ended up going with the SBReef lights because of cost and sleekness of build quality. It also has purple led pucks which are great for aethestics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Dustin, look into the SBreef lights as well when shopping the Reefbrites. I was torn between the two as well and ended up going with the SBReef lights because of cost and sleekness of build quality. It also has purple led pucks which are great for aethestics.

Thank Ty I will check them out!

• Like 1

I played with the overflow plumbing some last night. It’s all mocked up. I will mark it all and glue it tonight. Also got a sneak peek the stand cover! I’m really liking it!

51B172BB-DFCD-4F71-8FE9-4DEB7669FB0F.jpeg

8D603FFD-7020-4979-8240-54A4CCD00FEF.jpeg

EA7BC736-47A8-45C2-B60C-3BEB49AAE1C2.jpeg

Edited by dustint21
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Nice build so far. Welcome to the hot rod red steel stand club! Good to see more people spicing up their stands. Looking forward to more progression shots here!

Thanks gig em! Hopefully I can live up to the expectations of the club! You guys have beautiful tanks!

• Like 1