Planet Aquarium 130g

Jimbo662

6 hours ago, jvalentine83 said:

This tank is absolutely gorgeous! I love everything you've done in this build! 

Thanks! I think I've decided to go ahead and move the clowns this weekend so I can get some new fish in the 66g for some quarantine time and start arranging some of the frags on the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Roy V said:

I’m getting some quotes for a Planet tank 48x30x22 rimless similar to yours. Is there anything you would have done differently when ordering your tank?

Following ur build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Roy. The only issue I've had was with their Tideline overflow. I had issues with it leaking. I also had to raise the two emergency overflow pipes in the external box as high as I could so that it would raise the water level in the internal box to stop the loud waterfall sounds. A guy on R2R is having same issue with noise but said he hadn't seen any leaking from his. I've heard the Reef Synergy Shadow overflow would fit the holes that PA drills so I'm waiting to hear feedback from another PA owner that's going that route to see how it works out.

2 minutes ago, Roy V said:

Good to know. Also, what size pipes are the drains in he external overflow box? Not sure if I should go with 1” or 1.5”. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drains are 1" and the returns are 3/4".

11 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

Hey Roy. The only issue I've had was with their Tideline overflow. I had issues with it leaking. I also had to raise the two emergency overflow pipes in the external box as high as I could so that it would raise the water level in the internal box to stop the loud waterfall sounds. A guy on R2R is having same issue with noise but said he hadn't seen any leaking from his. I've heard the Reef Synergy Shadow overflow would fit the holes that PA drills so I'm waiting to hear feedback from another PA owner that's going that route to see how it works out.

I used a Reef Savvy ghost overflow on my Planet Aquarium frag tank.   It's a light years better overflow than the one Planet sent me with the tank.   The holes Planet drilled for their overflow worked perfectly for the ghost.  Of course there's no guarantee that would work out in any future tank they make!  

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

. . . I know my tank is only sexy in the coral coloration and growth . . .

Yes, you have very nicely colored corals.  But sexy colors doesn't necessarily mean healthy.  Charles Delbeek expressed this concern in Coral Nov/Dec 2010, pg 127

"When I see the colors of some of these low nutrient tanks, I can't help but be reminded of bleached coral reefs.  It should therefore not come as a surprise that feeding corals in such systems becomes a very important component in these systems.  Though reefs are often catagorized as nutrient "deserts" the influx of nutrients in the form of particulates and plankton is quite high when the total volume of water passing over a reef is taken into consideration.

Our crystal-clear aquaria do not come close to the nutrient loads that swirl around natural reefs. And so when we create low-nutrient water conditions, we still have to deal with the rest of a much more complex puzzle. Much like those who run their aquarium water temperature close to the thermal maximums of corals walk a narrow tight rope, I can't help but think that low-nutrient aquariums may be headed down a similar path." Charles Delbeck, Coral Nov/Dec 2010, pg 127.

And we now have research done on corals maintained for years in a ULN system showing how phosphate deficiency screws up corals:

http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Nutrient enrichment.pdf

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2015.00103/full

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17301601?via%3Dihub

Additionallly manipulating the zooxanthellae to reduce their numbers to optimize idealized colors can have a direct negative impact on the mucus production of a coral which is a critical component of a corals immune system.

On 1/27/2018 at 8:15 AM, Jimbo662 said:

Ha...I doubt I could ever reach your level of expertise. :eusathink:

Thank You!  But you didn't see my setups 20 - 25 years ago.  You, and others, are much farther along than I was after several years setting up or redoing tanks.

36 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

Pretty cool macro reactor! I've been wondering if those work. It can certainly save a lot of space and you don't have to worry about rotating the algae. About how much would you say it holds?

specs show it holds .66 gal. I bought the kit of marinedepot

specs show it holds .66 gal. I bought the kit of marinedepot
I'm pretty sure I saw the kit in one of the many spam emails Marine Depot send me! What I meant was how much macro algae it would hold. If chaeto is growing that fast then you might have to harvest every week.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

I'm pretty sure I saw the kit in one of the many spam emails Marine Depot send me! What I meant was how much macro algae it would hold. If chaeto is growing that fast then you might have to harvest every week.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ummmmmm...I'll let you know when I make my first harvest. :-)

8 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

Last Tuesday I added a ball of chaeto about the size of a baseball. I spread it around the center tube and it barely filled the space between one of the rows of lights. In 9 days it looks like it's tripled in size.

IMG_20180222_115656708_HDR.jpg

Pretty cool setup. I have a 55g sump with basically half of it as a fuge for chaeto. I plan on one day converting the fuge to a frag growout section, and doing this. So you think about every 2 weeks you'll be pruning it back?

19 hours ago, Reefpuck said:

Pretty cool setup. I have a 55g sump with basically half of it as a fuge for chaeto. I plan on one day converting the fuge to a frag growout section, and doing this. So you think about every 2 weeks you'll be pruning it back?

I'm guessing every 2-3 weeks. I'd say right now a little over a 3rd of it is full and dense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...