Moving 90 gallon to 180 gallon

Rocks Reef

Ok, so the few that have seen my tank knows that the growth is incredible while keeping it crazy simple. SO.... I am planning on moving my 90 gallon to a 180 gallon and need some advice. 

My sand is under a year old and populated with TONS of micro stars, bristles, various pods, etc.... Do I keep the old sand and use it to seed new sand? Also, I have a bunch of live rock I have been curing in a heated, circulated spare tank for 3 months...I feed it once a week to keep bacteria thriving... 

What's the best way to transfer everything from my 90 to the 180?

Ok, so the few that have seen my tank knows that the growth is incredible while keeping it crazy simple. SO.... I am planning on moving my 90 gallon to a 180 gallon and need some advice. 
My sand is under a year old and populated with TONS of micro stars, bristles, various pods, etc.... Do I keep the old sand and use it to seed new sand? Also, I have a bunch of live rock I have been curing in a heated, circulated spare tank for 3 months...I feed it once a week to keep bacteria thriving... 
What's the best way to transfer everything from my 90 to the 180?

To do it either very slowly or in 1 Day.

Up to you. When I moved from Austin to Manor, I kept everything and only lost 1 small firefish and 1 small piece of sps.

When we moved ty across town, it wasn’t too bad either but he had water and new sand already in his new display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Rocks Reef said:

This is for Jimbo who I bought the neon green toadstool from in January of this year... it was the size of a softball then... now... easily a foot in diameter when folded up!

OMG...that's amazing!!!!! I'm picking up a new tank tomorrow.  :firefirefire: Gonna need a frag of it in the not too distant future.  ;)

I'd still use new sand in the new tank if possible.

Will you able to have both tanks running at the same time or will you have to shut down the old one first, move it out of the way, and put the new tank where the old one was?

• 3 weeks later...

OK reefers! Since the tank is drilled for a closed loop system. Do I use it or cap them off? Second, the three bulk heads at the top. I want to use a bean animal and was wondering the best way to do this. Should I get an internal overflow box and not worry about a box on the outside or put a box on the inside and outside? If I just have an overflow box on the inside, I could run PVC to sump directly from overflows and not worry about adding external box and additional plumbing. Lets hear your thoughts and opinions...

I prefer the ghost style overflows, but since your tank is already drilled I don't think there is any off-the-shelf option for that.  I guess it depends a great deal on how much budget you have for dealing with the overflow, or else if you or a friend are good with making acrylic fixtures

If I had the choice, and it can be done, I'd go external only to minimize internal obstructions to current.

I have 2 700 gph glass holes overflows available. You would just need a 3rd. They take up very little room and are quiet. I needed taller ones for new new Tank, this why they’re available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived