What equipment can you not live without?

RicordeaFreak

With Black Friday sales starting to pop up online. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an ATO. What i'm wondering is in your experience what equipment was a game changer or can you not live without now? Or even items you would recommend to make things easier with the hobby.

One thing that was big for me even though relatively inexpensive was getting scissor style forceps vs using a pinch style tong to move my corals around.

Lets hear about the things you have your eye on this year!

Having my own RO/DI filter in house to produce my own water was the biggest game changer.  I'd say that an ATO and controller come right after that.  Not having to worry about using timers to turn on/off pumps, lights, etc.  My led lights come next, not having to change bulbs is amazing.

Having my own RO/DI filter in house to produce my own water was the biggest game changer.  I'd say that an ATO and controller come right after that.  Not having to worry about using timers to turn on/off pumps, lights, etc.  My led lights come next, not having to change bulbs is amazing.
Ditto to Mike, in mostly that same order.

2 hours ago, mFrame said:

I picked up a 4 stage RO/DI filter with the dual TDS meter last year during sales after I got tired of lugging 5g jugs of RO to and from the LFS for my 55g freshwater tank. I'm looking at controllers, but can't decide on what exactly I want out of it. I'm primarily looking at the reef keeper lite basic along with the SLV2 salinity module, but am unsure at what is the most important to obtain first regarding a controller. I would love to try neptune systems, but I think its going to be out of my budget by the time I get the additional modules.

16 minutes ago, jolt said:

Agree with the above.  In addition: Hanna alkalinity tester, I use it every day

I picked up a low range phosphate checker by Hanna and have the red sea MG, CA, AND ALK kit along with a API saltwater master test kit. Are there any other tests you might recommend?

Those Red Sea tests are pretty good, I like the CA, I just pefer the hanna alk over others for ease of use and reliability, and I prefer the salifert Nitrate kit over others.  I've not used API but I think I heard they are not too accurate, not sure

ro/di w/ barrels attached to ATO setup.    On my previous aquarium, i was having to top it off manually daily.  with this barrel/ato, i just refill the barrel when it gets low.   having a holding tank also allows the ro filter to be more efficient.  long filtering periods are better then multiple short periods.

apex.. i mean really, do you wanna mess w/ a zillion timers? thing daylight saving sucks cuz you have to change the clock on your microwave? *lol* not to mention all the l;evel sensors and sanity it provides.

calcium reactor... dosing manually, or dealing w/ liquid doser sucked.

simple, but goodie... skimmate bucket.  i clean my skimmer maybe monthly lately.  it took 10mo for my 3gal bucket to fill up.  so.. yea.

and the most obvious.... pumps... no pump, no life *lol*

2 minutes ago, jolt said:

Those Red Sea tests are pretty good, I like the CA, I just pefer the hanna alk over others for ease of use and reliability, and I prefer the salifert Nitrate kit over others.  I've not used API but I think I heard they are not too accurate, not sure

call me crazy, but the API CA test is just the easiest.  when i tested hanna vs red sea vs API on calcium... it was accurate enough (vs the hassle of the others) for me.
API nitrate test... same deal, api wins.
Hanna phosphate is the best... no guessing shades of the same damn color
Alk... API is damn close.  it measures in whole digits, but you knwo you can see a pale yellow, you just add .5 to the count and be doen w/ it.  Red sea is actually pretty easy here too... depends on my mood for accuracy.
MG... red sea wins this one.

54 minutes ago, Isaac said:

ro/di w/ barrels attached to ATO setup.    On my previous aquarium, i was having to top it off manually daily.  with this barrel/ato, i just refill the barrel when it gets low.   having a holding tank also allows the ro filter to be more efficient.  long filtering periods are better then multiple short periods.

apex.. i mean really, do you wanna mess w/ a zillion timers? thing daylight saving sucks cuz you have to change the clock on your microwave? *lol* not to mention all the l;evel sensors and sanity it provides.

calcium reactor... dosing manually, or dealing w/ liquid doser sucked.

simple, but goodie... skimmate bucket.  i clean my skimmer maybe monthly lately.  it took 10mo for my 3gal bucket to fill up.  so.. yea.

and the most obvious.... pumps... no pump, no life *lol*

Ah yes, pumps. I'm glad you reminded me of that. I should definitely get a backup.

The RODI and ATO upgrades are real blessings! I really don't use a controller for more than a light timer and I could live without it. One cheap item that really helps my life is a fish bagger! I use mine to dip corals, acclimate new fish, and mount new corals during fragging. Pretty good for only $3.99!

Pro Fish Bagger

I'm digging my new dual gyres, strong random flow, big waves when I want, fun to play with settings; the new turbines are robust.

Pushbutton remote-control dual outlets, bought for Xmas tree lights. Now used for turning on and off skimmer pumps and return pumps; one click, rtn pumps off, feed, click back on. Easy to teach reef sitters the feeding process. Need to clean skimmer? Click off. Clean, dry, return. Click...

Archived