Backups and Redundancy

brian.srock

During our November club meeting we had Ty (farmerty) and John (gigem) discussing what they use in case of emergencies. If you couldn't make it to the meeting hopefully this will be a good resource to what you should think about incorporating into your tank and where to get it. 

Here are the items available to the club members in cases of emergencies 

What are your plans for power outages, snails, malfunctioning heater, etc? 

Let us know your backup plans and where we can find the items. 

Also here are the items available to club members that was discussed during the meeting that may be used in emergencies as well

For me it starts with an uninterruptible power supply that I have my apex hooked to.  And battery backups for a couple of wavmakers. 

@Isaac was the one who got me on board with the UPC, and it's already come in handy a couple of times!

I have a UPC as well but it's not connected to my apex. It's connected to my modem and router and Return pump so in events of power outages I will still receive an alert and can either notify a neighbor to check or make my way back home if I'm not but my tank will not drain and can run this way for 45 minutes. 

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK

For more extreme power outages I have a little gas generator that I can run an extension to my Apex and be back in business for a couple of days.

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

Just now, FarmerTy said:

It was like a public speaking class, where they gave me a topic and I had to give a speech about it. I don't think anybody caught on to me. emoji41.png

I just recall you saying my stuff was over complicated w/ built in redundancies.  that was before you moved tho!

I just recall you saying my stuff was over complicated w/ built in redundancies.  that was before you moved tho!
Oh, when comparing to your setup anything looks not redundant enough. I've seen inside of an air control tower which looked simple compared to your reef tank setup.

1 hour ago, brian.srock said:

I haven't seen Isaac's system so post some pics and info. Got a new build on the way so any new ideas I can incorporate will help.

It required a visio to keep track of things *lol*  

post-1733-0-44358900-1447880116.jpg 

post-1733-0-48019700-1447880120.jpg

these are as of april.. i need to update it :) 

It required a visio to keep track of things *lol*  
post-1733-0-44358900-1447880116.jpg 
post-1733-0-48019700-1447880120.jpg

these are as of april.. i need to update it [emoji4] 
I see you have an office Keurig tied into your system. That's one way to keep on friendly terms with your tank!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I see you have an office Keurig tied into your system. That's one way to keep on friendly terms with your tank!

The Keurig is for him to make a fresh cup of coffee before remembering how to change anything in his system. [emoji23]

The Keurig is for him to make a fresh cup of coffee before remembering how to change anything in his system. [emoji23]
The thing I find disturbing is the lack of redundancy on the Keurig.

1 hour ago, Paula said:

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years! 

A note on UPCs.  Most are set to run at a constant wattage output regardless of the load on them.  So a 200 watt UPC may run the same whether it has a 200 watt load or a 4 watt load.  To be redundant and repeat points made Saturday always check back up systems to see how they run.

Archived