Mixed 3.5g Pico 11/2016 - Present

RicordeaFreak

15 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Quick thoughts:

1) If they were chomping on montis, my guess is they are monti eating nudis... Which I've never had to battle but I heard they are the worst!

2) Red planaria can be beat by siphoning out as much as possible for a few weeks, then dosing flatworm exit, followed by carbon 30 mins after initial dose and a water change following treatment.

3) RIP Mr. Chompy... Its always sad to lose the ones that earned a name.

Good call on the nudis Ty Haha. Its almost like DUH of course they are. The ones I found in the tank just don't have the appendages like I see in most photo's of them. They certainly are eating my monti though. I found where they have been eating on the orange monti that I didn't notice before. I took the time to try and suck out as many as I could. Ended up with finding 15! :angry: I'll be running some tests on these to see if Revive coral dip works on them, or if I need to go the route of something stronger like Bayer.

What im not too sure about is if should remove and toss the Montis which would suck, but If I leave their source of food it seems like it would just be an ongoing issue. The other option would be to break off what part of the monti I can from the wall to scrub the underside of them for eggs and keep dipping the piece I am able to remove?

This is probably going to be what pushes me towards setting up a coral quarantine tank, but that isn't a bad thing.

From what I heard, the most effective method is removal of montis for half a year! It takes forever to starve them out. Bayer hardly works on them as well as most dips. This is all from memory and probably pretty dated info so hopefully someone has found a more effective tool against them by now.

20 minutes ago, JamesL said:

You can overcome this... my tank just went through most of the same (minus the nudibranchs).

Sorry to hear about the fish loss.  I love my pistol/fish pair, and lost my first paired up fish during the early months of the tank.  Thankfully, the pistols are resilient, and pair up quickly with new fish.

I don't have any experience with nudibranch pests, hopefully someone else can help.

As for the flatworms, that I have very recent experience with.  I did pretty much followed the approach you are proposing.  I siphoned, dosed with flatworm exit, water changed, and repeated a month or so later.  From what I have read, it is hard to overdose that stuff in the tank.  I will say some of those little buggers seemed immune to the treatment.  So I added a Six Line wrasse.  He seemed to help the most. 

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input! I'm relieved to hear that its hard to overdose flatworm exit. I'll probably have to just stick with multiple attempts until I don't see them anymore as I think my tank is a bit small for a Six Line. I've read good things about them being voracious at eating flatworms though.

10 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

From what I heard, the most effective method is removal of montis for half a year! It takes forever to starve them out. Bayer hardly works on them as well as most dips. This is all from memory and probably pretty dated info so hopefully someone has found a more effective tool against them by now.

The little bit i've read with others battling them sounds like removing and tossing them then not having any monti or anacropora in the system for a looooong time is the best bet to rid of them. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth after watching the orange one grow over the last year, but oh well.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:29 PM, Jimbo662 said:

Sorry to hear about the fish loss.  I was going to post that the tank was looking great...even in spite of those pesky little critters!

Thank you! Its a bit of a bummer with the monti eating nudis, but i'll beat them eventually.

• 3 months later...

A bit of an update as it's been a few months since.

After more research on the what I thought was Montipora-eating Nudibranch in my tank, they turned out to be Vayssierea felis. I came to find that they prey on spirorbid worms. I actively removed as many as I could while I saw them in my tank, but I haven't seen one for about a month now. I also don't see any new spirorbid worms popping up, and all remaining worms shells seem ravaged through. I think all the spirorbid worms in the tank helped with keeping the water a bit cleaner as I've noticed more algae as of late.

The flatworm population seemed to dwindle after literally wiping them out of my tank. They liked to mainly collect in a high flow area on the front of the glass where flow bounces off. I found taking a paper towel and wiping them off the glass in one swift swipe got a majority of them at once. I tried siphoning them from the glass with water changes as well, but it wasn't as effective as the paper towel method. When reading more about flatworms I came across a post Ty made a while back on the forum about the correlation between the number of pods and flatworms present at the same time. I can safely say that I too have noticed that my pod population has really taken a hit from the flatworms as I hardly see pods on the glass anymore. This loss of pods I think is also playing into the algae issues I'm now running into.

The problems I'm having as of late is a bit of red/brown slime algae in areas that aren't getting enough flow and valonia poping up everywhere. I think it's either time for a new/bigger pump or possibly look for pico powerhead to add in some extra flow, along with siphoning the gravel a bit more. Does anyone know what this odd encrusting brownish algae is on the back wall?

I've removed a couple more corals as they got too big for the system, but it's looking like I need to remove a few more. The only things I've added since the last update are an orange montipora digitata and a green slimer acro I received from Ty at the meeting back in mid November 2017. I also added a high finned red banded goby as I felt bad for my pistol shrimp and hardly saw him come out anymore.

Here are a few update photos. The normal photos were taken with no filter and the actinic shots were taken with an orange filter.

43.jpg

44.jpg

I couldn't get rid of the montipora I had, but now it looks like I need to remove some along with the GSP thats taken off like crazy.

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

These Ricordea have been finally splitting after a year of owning them.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

These long skirt zoa's have spread like crazy, time to frag em up!

54.jpg

Rainbow Acan starting to plump and color up nicely now that they have room to spread out a bit.

55.jpg

Can anyone spot whats odd in this last picture? How did that get there?

56.jpg

Taken on 2/24/18

15 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

Is that a zoa in the overflow? Love those ricordeas...great color on everything.

Yeah... haha

My only guess is maybe the pistol shrimp chopped off a polyp and it floated back there as i've seen it clamp down on some in the past when trying to grab food. Other than that, no clue on how it got back there.

Also, thanks! I'm starting to see a few more splits of the ricordea, hopefully soon i'll have a couple up for sell/trades.

Archived