Suction Glass Holders?

Good Greef

All,

I will be picking up a 180g rimless tank (3/4" glass) and need to figure out what's a reliable set of suction cup holders I can buy for that weight which I'm guessing is around 500 lbs.There will be at least 3 strong guys, maybe 4.

I've never used any nor have I picked up a large tank before. Those who have, do you also think 2 of them is suffice, or should all of us utilize a ser?

Ideally the brand recommended can be found at Lowe's or Home depot.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's going to be a heavy tank with the 3/4" glass. I would say 4 minimum, they come with two suction cups.

There's a set in the club that you can usually borrow though I'll leave it to the owner to offer if he sees this. I don't want to volunteer anyone else's stuff.

That's going to be a heavy tank with the 3/4" glass. I would say 4 minimum, they come with two suction cups.

There's a set in the club that you can usually borrow though I'll leave it to the owner to offer if he sees this. I don't want to volunteer anyone else's stuff.
Thanks Ty. Did you mean a minimum of 4 people, with 2 suction cups total? Or 4 sets of suction cups?

And I really don't need to borrow from anyone. Maybe I can buy some and return them to right after at Amazon/Lowes (haha - did I just say that out loud?)

Never using them before, I get sick thinking about what would happen if the suction cups slipped off. I'm guessing if they are rated for 75lbs each, I need to buy 7?

Thanks Ty. Did you mean a minimum of 4 people, with 2 suction cups total? Or 4 sets of suction cups?

And I really don't need to borrow from anyone. Maybe I can buy some and return them to right after at Amazon/Lowes (haha - did I just say that out loud?)

Never using them before, I get sick thinking about what would happen if the suction cups slipped off. I'm guessing if they are rated for 75lbs each, I need to buy 7?

I meant 4 sets of suction cups. I've moved 4-5 tanks with those cups, only once did one ever slide... And it just slid, not popped off. It wasn't correctly secured though was the main reason it slid. Once secured, those babies aren't going anywhere. We moved a tank 2x bigger than yours and probably 2x heavier and they didn't budge.

I meant 4 sets of suction cups. I've moved 4-5 tanks with those cups, only once did one ever slide... And it just slid, not popped off. It wasn't correctly secured though was the main reason it slid. Once secured, those babies aren't going anywhere. We moved a tank 2x bigger than yours and probably 2x heavier and they didn't budge.
Do you recall what brand/type they were? Im willing to rent those 4 from whomever in ARC you are referring to, if you can secretly fwd them my request lol.

I think you'll have to purchase them. The person's suction cups have been damaged and don't work anymore.
No prob. Thx for asking. These ones you linked to are pretty cheap at $11 and rated for 200 lbs each. But there are other grainger ones rated for less weight for $75 each.

That's what kind of confuses me.

No prob. Thx for asking. These ones you linked to are pretty cheap at $11 and rated for 200 lbs each. But there are other grainger ones rated for less weight for $75 each.

That's what kind of confuses me.

Grainger is like the Amazon of the hardware
supply world. They just pass along the manufacture's pricing.

I moved my 150 tall with suction cups.  Made it possible for two strong guys and two regular guys to move it easily.  24" wide tank went thru  the doors with ease when we had attached two suction cups on each end of tank and then two guys spotting  each side without cups.  Then the side guys peeled off as we went thru the doors and the end guys supported the weight no problem. 

Alright, now that I'm a premium member i'll take a look at the club's inventory! But I definitely will need the suction cups before 11/17.

After pinging many different communities as well, it seems like the consensus is the suction cups are helpful but I should not rely on them as standalones, to hold the full 500 lbs from truck bed to final placement. The total lift will entail ~40 linear feet followed by 6 stairs up (before the front door), then into the doorway.

So regarding dollies such as https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/dollies/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61897.html, I am wondering if I need to get 2 of them to support most of 72" span. Or do I attach some 3/4' plywood to the dolly that is the same as the tank footprint, to ensure the dolly doesn't tip if the tank isn't on there perfectly balanced? 

Alright, now that I'm a premium member i'll take a look at the club's inventory! But I definitely will need the suction cups before 11/17.
After pinging many different communities as well, it seems like the consensus is the suction cups are helpful but I should not rely on them as standalones, to hold the full 500 lbs from truck bed to final placement. The total lift will entail ~40 linear feet followed by 6 stairs up (before the front door), then into the doorway.
So regarding dollies such as https://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/dollies/30-in-x-18-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61897.html, I am wondering if I need to get 2 of them to support most of 72" span. Or do I attach some 3/4' plywood to the dolly that is the same as the tank footprint, to ensure the dolly doesn't tip if the tank isn't on there perfectly balanced? 

Two dollies would do it, both a little off middle to support the weight and allow you to pivot it when needed.

I have 3 or 4 sets of suction cups you can use.  You'd have to pick them up and bring them back to Leander though.  Send me a pm if you want to use them.

They do help with moving but should not be totally relied upon, they did slip while we were moving my 240 gallon tank. 

With your tank being 3/4 inch glass it probably has a similar weight to mine which is 1/2 in glass. Me and 3 other big guys were able to move mine... barely. The biggest challenge was lifting the tank onto my stand which is 4 feet tall.  I'll be renting a lift of some sort if I ever move my tank again, after the move I swore I would never lift my tank manually again.

I did use two furniture dollies that you had posted from harbor freight.  They worked well, but one did break when too much weight was placed on it at an awkward angle going up a step on the front patio. Connecting with plywood may be a good idea, I didn't think of doing that.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:11 PM, FarmerTy said:

Not sure if you were talking about me, but I have 4 that should be available.  Jimbo has mine now, but I think he'll be done with them by then.

I have 3 or 4 sets of suction cups you can use.  You'd have to pick them up and bring them back to Leander though.  Send me a pm if you want to use them.
They do help with moving but should not be totally relied upon, they did slip while we were moving my 240 gallon tank. 
With your tank being 3/4 inch glass it probably has a similar weight to mine which is 1/2 in glass. Me and 3 other big guys were able to move mine... barely. The biggest challenge was lifting the tank onto my stand which is 4 feet tall.  I'll be renting a lift of some sort if I ever move my tank again, after the move I swore I would never lift my tank manually again.
I did use two furniture dollies that you had posted from harbor freight.  They worked well, but one did break when too much weight was placed on it at an awkward angle going up a step on the front patio. Connecting with plywood may be a good idea, I didn't think of doing that.
Thanks for your insight. Suction cups slipping and a dolly breaking are my worst nightmares, glad nothing bad happened to your tank.

I saw some heavy duty flat carts at home depot that wouldve been perfect (4 feet high) but they wouldnt rent them. But I found something similar in my googling haste, from a place I never knew existed off 51st called Misc. Rentals:
http://miscellaneousrentals.com/dollies-carts/single-gallery/21011262

I called and they said when the handle goes down its a flat surface. So I think i prefer the 60 inches of flat bed this provides rather than 2 separate dollies.

18 hours ago, SChrisEV said:

Not sure if you were talking about me, but I have 4 that should be available.  Jimbo has mine now, but I think he'll be done with them by then.

ETA on my tank is the same weekend. I'll follow up to see if they can give me a better ETA.

Archived